The future of LPG tanks

bobalobs

We live in North East Hampshire and nine years ago we bought a new van fitted with a refillable underfloor gas tank.

Over the years we have noticed a reduction in refill outlets. First BP removed pumps and in particular the station at Peterfield removed pumps that had only recently been renovated.

Then Shell when renovating sites at Fontwell and Rustington have removed LPG gas pumps and we are told this will happen throughout Shell outlets .Thankfully we have a gas outlet at the Shell stations on the A3 down the road from us but it seems we would be unwise to think its future is safe.

We have found in more agriculture areas there is a better gas availability probably due to farm/horticulture demand but what is the future for camper/motorhome demand? More and more vans are designed on the basis of under floor tanks so when we have to revert to overpriced bottles where are they going to be fitted?

Fortunately we have a cupboard with a gasdrop that could be adapted to cylinders but we wonder that everyone will be so lucky

They are getting harder to find localy we fitted a refillable gasit tank in feb this year,the nearest to us it 10 miles away (morrisons)but we have found places when out and about to fill up,we have so far spent £22 on gas if it was calor it would be £57,the savings are massive,lets hope it doesnt get any worse

i dont know why there is no push from the goverment to use it as a road fuel as its a lot cleaner but then again its a byproduct of petroleum so they proberbley wont .

ernst - 2019-10-13 9:02 PM

i dont know why there is no push from the goverment to use it as a road fuel as its a lot cleaner . . . .

It’s down to the economics of demand and supply. LPG fuelled vehicles are as costly to manufacture as petroleum fuelled vehicles. Electric vehicles however have fewer parts and are much cheaper to manufacturer, although the batteries do make up 40% of the component cost, so car manufacturers prefer to move to modular electric. Which is why we are likely to see the now 'popular' battery powered vehicles and their attendant charging points start disappearing in five to ten years time to be replaced by hydrogen fuel cell vehicles as is already starting to happen in China.

Incidentally, there appears to be no shortage of AutoGas filling stations on Continental Europe at present, not great news for those who remain in the UK but handy for those of us that prefer to tour abroad although fifteen years from now continental AutoGas stations may have largely disappeared as well.

Most major car manufacturers in Europe produce dual fuel cars (petrol & lpg) but don't import them to UK. I don't understand the push to electric as the network certainly can't cope (imagine the electrical demand every evening if everyone had a plug in electric vehicle.). I can understand self charging hybrids, far more feasible.

As for lpg, there are still 1200 filling stations, so if the big boys such as Shell pull out, then support those who carry on and hopefully the extra trade will keep them on board.

Can't say I have noticed any great change in LPG (Autogas pump) availability in my bit of West Yorkshire.

I have run 2 LPG converted cars in the past, the first being converted around 13 years ago & all the forecourt pumps I used then are still available now. Local taxis & private hire vehicles are the main users around here.

Availabilty in Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg & Germany is good - I topped off twice last month on tour, once in Luxemburg at the motorway services outside Luxemburg city (€0.49/l) & an Autohof services near Kircheim unter Teck in Germany (€0.59/l). I have LPG stations as POIs on my Garmin satnav.

As well as forecourts, some industrial gas/fuel suppliers have LPG pumps - I have one locally & there is one 200yds down the road from EmmBee Motorhomes in Bury. This type of supplier is not quite so obvious as a forecourt pump, but may be an option for you if you enquire locally.

I don't think that pumped LPG is going to disappear of the UK any time soon.

Nigel B

A few years back the Andalucian ambulance fleet was converted to LPG and there was an increase in the number of outlets available. The outlets used were slot- in units and, from our observation, very straight-forward and quick to install.

How difficult or practical would it be for motorhome dealers to have the necessary installed if they become less common in garages ?

In my area there is a noticeable decline in lpg availability, we seam to have gone from BP to Shell garages, (the garages changing hands). I have two garages near to me that used to stock lpg one had excellent access both sides, one had very limited access so guess which one they dropped? I rang Shell and asked what their policy was, and it was the usual, “we are only selling it in garages where it’s profitable”. I asked if there was any way of knowing which garages do stock it and was told “we have a website and app, but unfortunately it’s not updated”.

I am now constantly on the look out for alternatives and understand the Morrison’s chain could be one? So now I just keep it well topped up, using UK sourced because of the Propane content and I do use the van in the winter.

We were looking for it last month in Suffolk, and my app myLPG.eu listed a few, including Calor gas depot. Even if it gets more difficult to find a fuel stations, there will still be a demand for exchanged gas bottles, so perhaps it's worth trying local depots.

Is FillLPG app android only - couldn't find it on the Apple store?

I live near Southampton, we recently lost a garage at swaythling from the LPG filling , but we have one at OWER just off the Motorway M27 and also the main Calor dealer at Millbrook, I passed a garage on the way home from Somerset yesterday it had a sign out saying LPG , it was near Glastonbury, I have the app on my phone FILL LPG and myLPG and there are lots of outlets shown on these, Android phone, there are many LPG outlets in France Spain and Portugal so no problems there, not much help if you are in the UK of course,

Archived