Thetford C2 Vent seal and float HELP!

Mike The Red

Hello,

I recently posted regarding the vent seal on my C2 waste cassette, I have aquired the seal but when reaching inside the tank to position it, the float that it sits on has just come away from whatever holds it in place!

I have, in fact, got it in my hand!!!

No idea how to reattach it!

Please Help

Mike Norsworthy

The float clicks into place (the pivots on the float should be obvious).

Unfortunately, the part it clicks into is neither obvious, nor is it poosible to see what you're doing (without entirely dismantling the cassette).

Trial and error through the top 'hole' I'm afraid. (and wash your hands afterwards!).

The float activates the 'full' light via magnetic action, so a discrete match-up of the position of the 'pick-up' in the toilet body gives a view of where it should fit.

Guest Tracker
It would not be the end of the world if you left the float valve out, as it is fairly obvious when you look down the hole, to spot when it needs emptying! Us long serving members remember a time when there was no such thing as a fancy light and a peek down t'ole was t'only way to tell!

Thanks for the input, I am still having difficulties, my cassette is one which only has a small hole about the size of a halfpenny for the valve, not the new fangeled grey valve gadget thingy on the top, and the float I speak of is a black plastic rectangular object containig what appears to be polystyrene.

The hinged assembly spoken of above is still in situ inside the cassette but for the life of me I can not reattach the float!

any ideas

Mike

Further to my last post, i have now managed to look inside of the tank, (with the use of the better half's compact mirror! but dont tell her!!

The float is definately in the correct place but does not sit high enough to make a seal with the vent seal "o" ring.

Even when the cassette is closed the sliding panel which is supposed to push the flost up isn't pushing it high enough to make the seal!

Mike

Mike, Going by the pictures and instructions it appears it is the blade arm driver that holds it in place along with the 'lugs' on the casing. Is it possible you have put it in upside down or 180 degrees rotated. Possibly even on the locating lugs is not on outside of float but 'pierced' into the foam material.

Jon

• 10 years later...

Hi! I know this is an old thread but I've been struggling with this issue for the past week.

On the old C2, C3 + C4 cassettes the float holds the vent seal in place, without it stuff spills out of the small vent hole so you can't just leave it out. In my searches I found these instructions which were really helpful:

https://ourtour.co.uk/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Sanitation-Repair-instructions.pdf

I'll try to attach the pdf too incase the link goes down.

Once I got the float back in place it didn't sit properly at first. I had to gently push/pull up the blade mechanism and heard a satisfying click as that came back into place. Tthen the float stayed put and held the vent seal firmly in place.

Hope this helps for anyone with future issues, especially as these cassettes get older it's harder to find info!

Sanitation-Repair-instructions-p16.jpg.6cdb43a0470a72d47c3a5d8f18c7f978.jpg

• 2 years later...
I have had similar problems and I have followed the diagram but the float chamber still seems quite loose, it seems to be in the right place and when I close the main seal it goes up a bit but doesn't fit closely against the seal, could there be something that is making it loose? I don't know if the float is supposed to be attached to the arm or if the arm closes over it?

Archived