Thetford Cassette

HarveyHeaven

HarveyHeaven - 2020-07-30 9:57 PM

Our 3 year old Thetford Cassette...

It might be helpful to know which model of Thetford toilet your motorhpome has.

https://www.thetford-europe.com/gb/products/toilets/cassette-toilets

If your toilet used to be able to hold flush-water in the bowl with no leakage, but can no longer do so, the probability is that the rubber seal will need replacing - usually a simple enough task. You could try removing the cassette from its locker for a while to see if the present seal ‘recovers', or follow weldted’s advice, but I suggest you just fit a new seal.

Thanks ever so. We'll identify the particular Thetford and order a new seal.....probbly a good id to have one anyway!!! We're off to Europe early September so need to have everything in tip top condition as we will be very careful about mixing as we are here.

It’s probably a Thetford C 260/263-S model (image attached below).

Thetford’s advice is

How often do I have to replace the lip seal?

Depending on user behaviour, we recommend replacement after 4-6 years.

Seal replacement procedure shown here

Thetford Part Number is evidently 23721 and cost should be sub-£15 (example advert here)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/20032581492

(I think I’ll now replace the seal on my C400 cassette as a precautionary measure...)

toilet.jpg.9b3bb7199a4a0937231b8befdf3b256b.jpg

I've had to replace ours, C400, twice now in the last four years from new, the first under warranty but still had to do it myself as the local agent wouldn't touch it for sanitary reasons, but unfortunately they didn't say they needed the old one back so I was charged for it!

Always looked after our cassette and seals etc. and never had a problem on our previous vans over fifteen years but this new Thetford has been no end of problems, black in the water, electric pump seizing, seal leaking into cassette compartment and seal not sealing on slide that covers cassette hole on removal.

Definitely believe the modern versions have inbuilt problems.

Bas

Basil - 2020-08-02 12:20 PM

...Definitely believe the modern versions have inbuilt problems.

Bas

Not sure how you view the word ‘modern’, but this complaint about leaks fron the toilet bowl is 2012 vintage.

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/67471-thetford-c250-cassette-toilet-leak-problem/

I may have mentioned this here before, but closing the blade-valve of a Thetford C400 toilet involves two operations.

1: The handle (arrowed on image below) is moved clockwise until the blade slides fully across the hole at the base of the bowl.

2: The handle must then be moved further (a liitle resistance will need to be overcome). This will cause the blade to be forced upward against the underside of the rubber lip-seal and properly seal the cassette. Failing to carry out this 2nd operation is likely to result in liquid waste in the cassette leaking out when the cassette is removed for emptying and placed on its end.

(I’m guessing that the same ‘two operations’ procedure will apply to other Thetford toilets that have a similar design of cassette to that of the C400 range.)

Thetford-C403.jpg.c4d5b351a7915242cf2d915b5d94e2ad.jpg

I define modern as those using the later lip seal. As said we had no problems over 15 years with the older type lip seal and have had continuous problems with the later type as have several of our friends. Also never had a problem with black bits on the earlier bench toilets with the hand bellows even with the Pink additive but seems, again from talking to friends, to affect those with the electric pump, don't know why!

Just my observation talking to others and reading on Forums.

I was aware of the 'double' movement of the blade to seal but that doesn't help with the bowl contents entering the toilet housing from between the base of the bowl and the cassette where the lip seal is not sealing!

Bas

Archived