Thetford SCK2300 oven

Caddies104

What dooes the oven-burner’s flame look like? Is it as ‘intense’ as it used to be? Does the burner react to the control-knob as you might expect?

There’s an exploded view of an Aspire SCK23xxx oven here that might be useful...

https://www.leisurespares.co.uk/files/ww/v2_SCK23XXX%20Aspire%202.pdf

(Presumably you haven’t switched from propane to butane gas, that MIGHT affect the oven’s performance.)

This YouTube video demonstrates how to use a Thetford oven

Obviously you are familiar with the operating procedure, but the video does show what the oven burner-flame should look like - a nice ‘clean’ blue colour as shown in the image attached below.

I can’t see the flame’s yellow appearance you’ve described being caused by the oven’s thermostat. Have you checked what the grill’s flame looks like?

If the hob-burner flames have a clean blue colour (and can be adjusted from low to high and back as normal) logically there’s a problem with the gas feed to the oven-burner (and to the grill burners too if they exhibit the same yellow look).

flame.png.6d0b32fb9a45168871c03da7704fde6c.png

My OH informs me that the Smev? oven in our PVC would struggle to cook oven chips. This is because oven chips require a higher temperature setting than that offered by the oven. Longer cookong time results in dried out chips.

A yellow flame on a gas appliance generally indicates a restricted air supply. Think back to the Bunsen burner of our schooldays, where closing off the air supply sleeve results in a yellow flame.

Alan

If the flame is more yellow it is not burning correctly, and will be emitting dangerous gases, get someone to look at it, I take it that it has been stood a while so it will have webs and stuff in it, you could try blowing it out with compressed air or get a pro in

Jonathan

Derek Uzzell - 2021-04-30 8:01 AM

This YouTube video demonstrates how to use a Thetford oven

Obviously you are familiar with the operating procedure, but the video does show what the oven burner-flame should look like - a nice ‘clean’ blue colour as shown in the image attached below.

I can’t see the flame’s yellow appearance you’ve described being caused by the oven’s thermostat. Have you checked what the grill’s flame looks like?

If the hob-burner flames have a clean blue colour (and can be adjusted from low to high and back as normal) logically there’s a problem with the gas feed to the oven-burner (and to the grill burners too if they exhibit the same yellow look).

Thanks Derek, ours is nothing like that, will have to investigate further, but probably have to take it somewhere to get rectified

Derek

Caddies104 - 2021-04-30 12:53 PM

Thanks all, back home now, will definitely get it sorted before next trip... is it worth changing the regulator anyway as its 4years old?

Derek

If alll the gas appliances (fridge, heater, hob, stove) are turned on and operate normally (except for the oven’s burner) with no signs of reduced gas flow, there’s no persuasive reason to think the regulator is other than in full working order.

I think a 2017 Apache 632 will have been built (as standard) with a Truma CS bulkhead-mounted 30mbar regulator fed from a single gas bottle via a Truma ’safety’ hose. When this type of regulator becomes problematiical the usual result is that the gas flow/pressure ‘downstream’ of the regulator is reduced and the noticeable symptoms are that gas appliances will not operate at full output (eg. hob burners) or not at all (eg. a Truma Combi heater). Four years is not long for Truma CS regulators that seem to be a lot more reliable than earlier variants.

The reason I suggested you check what the grill-burner flames look like is that, if the hob-burners’ flames are blue, and the grill-burners’ flames are also blue (image attached below) you’ll have at least narrowed the problem down to the oven-burner.

494460156_grillburner.png.264d96f85d96e416b1a514015cc883cd.png

Derek Uzzell - 2021-04-30 1:50 PM

Caddies104 - 2021-04-30 12:53 PM

Thanks all, back home now, will definitely get it sorted before next trip... is it worth changing the regulator anyway as its 4years old?

Derek

If alll the gas appliances (fridge, heater, hob, stove) are turned on and operate normally (except for the oven’s burner) with no signs of reduced gas flow, there’s no persuasive reason to think the regulator is other than in full working order.

I think a 2017 Apache 632 will have been built (as standard) with a Truma CS bulkhead-mounted 30mbar regulator fed from a single gas bottle via a Truma ’safety’ hose. When this type of regulator becomes problematiical the usual result is that the gas flow/pressure ‘downstream’ of the regulator is reduced and the noticeable symptoms are that gas appliances will not operate at full output (eg. hob burners) or not at all (eg. a Truma Combi heater). Four years is not long for Truma CS regulators that seem to be a lot more reliable than earlier variants.

The reason I suggested you check what the grill-burner flames look like is that, if the hob-burners’ flames are blue, and the grill-burners’ flames are also blue (image attached below) you’ll have at least narrowed the problem down to the oven-burner.

Thanks again, will give it a go once it’s stops raining :-(

It’s my understanding that a non blue flame indicates incomplete combustion which is potentially dangerous. It may be that some thing has spilt on to the burner or there has been a soot build up so in the first instance I’d suggest you clean the burner. If it’s easily removed (ie just lifts out) then I’d clean in a bowl of soapy water with a scrubbing brush. Failing that I’d try cleaning in situ with a cloth and soapy water but avoid water entering and gathering in the burner. If that doesn’t sort matters then you probably need a professional gas fitter to address the issue.

• 1 month later...

Hi All just an update on the Thetford oven.

The removal of the burner which has been a challenge as no info online of this model, but now I know it’s a few minutes job….

Hopefully the pics will be there so:-

In Pic 1 .. you do not need to remove any of the 3 screws, just there to fool you :-)

In Pic 2 the all important clip!! that you push back and lift the burner

In Pic 3 the elusive burner with the 2 electrodes removed

Cleaned and put back- now have a blue flame :-D

FC294A8C-C5B0-4C9F-8467-D52300100BB3.jpeg.78c9252754f15d078d476c275308fe7d.jpeg

D6BF309C-9798-4153-A50F-A16B8D36C6FF.jpeg.952b725e2e7cf4f486c622a5fe36b073.jpeg

3E5F7BF5-3E0A-469A-AD3D-A2DCC4166A9B.jpeg.ec0d40146a1efd3f7939bacd9c711ed0.jpeg

Archived