Thetford fridge issues

Neal

Afternoon all,

We have had our MoHo parked up at home since yesterday lunch with the mains lead attached, yet the fridge is not getting to temperature. Suggestions welcome please. Its a bank holiday here today so can't ask the dealer.

I might have identified the issues, but wonder if its as simple as that:

1. Its baking hot @28/30 degrees and the sun is on that side of the Moho

2. Its baking hot inside the van, so I'm now sat here with the engine running and cab aircon on to reduce the temp. Plus have just brought a fan from the house to run!

But it would have got down closer to temp overnight(?)

3. We are on a hill - which I thought would be an issue on gas (The gas is on, but wont light the fridge - I've checked the gas by burning the hob.

We have mains electric as I have the laptop plugged in!

Thanks, Neal.

Its brand new!

The fridge runs on 12v we have tested with the engine on / off & mains unconnected.

Ive measured the road in front of os and going to take it off the hill and get it out of the sun. Not ideal as no vans can pass, but hopefully we will be ok overnight!

The motorhome is now on the level, out of the sun and the fridge is still not working on EHU.

I've changed it over to gas and see if that works - back to the dealer in the morning, hopefully it's user error as we are starting a 6 week trip back to the UK

Neal - 2019-08-15 3:50 PM

. . .

3. We are on a hill - which I thought would be an issue on gas (The gas is on, but wont light the fridge - I've checked the gas by burning the hob. . . .

As an aside and as you have an absorption fridge, operating it ‘on a hill’ will shorten it’s life regardless of power souce, gravity plays a part in an absorption fridge's correct operation (my rule of thumb is a max 6 degree incline – others may advise less). Unless the hill is extreme I’d not expect it to prevent the fridge's operation.

BruceM - 2019-08-15 8:14 PM

Neal - 2019-08-15 3:50 PM

. . .

3. We are on a hill - which I thought would be an issue on gas (The gas is on, but wont light the fridge - I've checked the gas by burning the hob. . . .

As an aside and as you have an absorption fridge, operating it ‘on a hill’ will shorten it’s life regardless of power souce, gravity plays a part in an absorption fridge's correct operation (my rule of thumb is a max 6 degree incline – others may advise less). Unless the hill is extreme I’d not expect it to prevent the fridge's operation.

Ok thanks , can’t have been the issue as it’s still not working - off to the dear 1st thing!

Archived