Thetford toilet - removing the seat?

Guest Derek Uzzell

Guest Derek Uzzell
My motorhome is fitted with a Thetford C200 swivel-bowl toilet. The Thetford instruction leaflet that accompanied the vehicle states that the toilet's seat and cover are removable but doesn't reveal how to remove them. I've visited Thetford's website and it's very likely that C200 seat/cover removal is covered somewhere there, but I couldn't find the information quickly and, as I'm in an idle mood, I thought I'd ask the forum. Anyway, it's something that might interest other motorcaravanners having this model of toilet. So, how does one remove a C200 toilet-seat and cover, please?

Guest Stuart
De.rek There was an article in MMM some time ago relating to a different model. The method on that one was simply to pull the lid and seat assembly up and away from the top moulding of the bowl, simply a push fit. Hope this helps. Stuart

Guest Derek Uzzell
Stuart: The MMM article you mention related to the Thetford C2 range of bench toilets. The seat/cover attachment for these is completely different to C200 swivel-bowl models. The seat/cover removal method for C200 toilets may well involve similar brute-force tactics to those used for C2s but the specific technique is bound to be different. Kate: Currently, I don't want to remove my toilet's seat or lid, but I might want to in future (for instance, if either gets damaged or extra thorough cleaning is necessary). My innate curiosity means that, if Thetford says a C200's seat/lid is removable, then I immediately want to know how to remove it. I've had another look at Thetford's website with no further success at finding the answer. Looks like I shall have to ask Thetford directly.

Derek, If you lift the seat and lid at an angle of 45, put one hand under the seat where it hinges and gently ease to one side and it should pop off.I always remove the seat and lid after every trip to give the toilet and surrounds a proper cleaning. Paul

The information about removal of the seat from Thetford cassette toilets may be very useful for us. My wife is due to have a hip replacement and I have been trying to find a solution to the problem of raising the height of the seat. If I can remove the seat and cover I might be able to make a sectional shaped wooden spacer to fit around the outside the bowl then replace the seat at the desired height. If anyone has already found a solution to raising the seat height we would appreciate their help. No point in re-inventing the wheel. Ray g0kyk@yahoo.com

Guest Derek Uzzell
I've now had the following feedback from Thetford on C200 seat/cover removal: "You can press the seat and cover to the back for removing. Do not do this too often - once or twice each year is enough." Not sure how much strength is needed to do this. After Paul's reply to my posting I followed his advice, but my toilet's cover/seat seemed very resistant to coming off the hinge-pins and (because this was purely experimental) I was reluctant to apply much force. Ray: In care-homes I've seen plastic supplementary toilet-seats that sit on top of the existing seat (or perhaps they fit on the bowl?) raising the 'operational' height by several inches. If these things will fit (or can be adapted to fit) a Thetford loo it could save you a lot of effort.

Guest David Powell
Hello Derek...As it is so unsual for you to ask questions rather than as usual you give the answers we are seeking, I just had to go out and have look at the job on my 200 loo in my towing caravan, not my motor home which has the old bench type. If yours has the two heavy plastic lid & seat retaining pins going into a central block, I found that a good grip with finger and thumb one side at a time quite easily pulled the retaining pin complete with seat and lid clear of the hole, then push it backwards to clear the central block - then the same with the other side and off it came....No stress nor strain on any of the plastic.

Guest Derek Uzzell
David: So that's the secret! For some strange reason, I was assuming that Paul's earlier advice involved prising the seat/lid 'hinges' over the heads of the retaining-pins (which is clearly impossible), rather than detaching the seat/lid complete with pins from the central block. Thanks to all - another mystery solved...

Guest David Powell
Knowing what I now know. Paul's way works very well, very good angle to take full advantage of effort applied, but you can't see what is going on underneath. So what it works very well.

Guest David Powell
While on the thread of the thetford C200, I have come across another problem which can occur. I by choice have the manual flush model as it gives better variable control of the flush. If the handle is pushed down too fast and or too hard, the piston can knock the valve chest off the base of the pump. Spares are not available, one has to buy a new pump, which I did, but don't as with a bit of D.I.Y. thought and genious the average motor homer can repair it. Which I have done so I now have a spare pump.

Guest Derek Uzzell
For what it's worth, I notice that Thetford's handbook warns that, for toilet models with their own water reservoirs, driving with water in the reservoir may cause water damage to the vehicle. How exactly this might happen is not explained.

Guest David Powell
The only way I can think of that would allow this to happen is the valves in the pump being the standard type of rubber moulded one way non return type valves. They allow the water to be drawn up into the pump cylinder then down into the flushing tube to the loo pan. As half the water movement is downward through the valves, and the bulk of the water is stored above the valve chest perhaps gravity helped by the up & down movement of the van forces the water through to the flush until it reaches a point when the pan actually over flows? I only travell short distances with that 'van to local C.C.Rallies so I will check it out next trip. Which will now be for a while, I'm just out of hospital following a little stroke, so banned from driving for a while.

Guest Derek Uzzell
David: The Thetford warning seems to relate to the C200 models S/CS and CWE, but, in fact, only the CWE has its own water reservoir. Having studied the booklet a bit more I also notice that the warning paragraph appears just in the "GB Instructions for use" section. Perhaps Thetford thinks that only Brits will bother to follow such impractical instructions. Perhaps it's some sort of weird Dutch joke! Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery. Derek.

Guest Davi Powell
Derek, thanks for your good wishes, I hope all goes well. Am house bound at the moment, I sit in the conservatory on a sunny day like today looking up the Swansea valley to the mountains knowing that I should be up there flexing the tyres on the M/Home keeping them fit for next year, and having lunch in the 'van in the sunshine overlooking the Cray Reservoir. Thank goodness for the FORUM! It will keep me ticking over until I'm back on the road again....See you in a field some where some time.......

Archived