Things that struck me researching van conversions from scratch

Newbie2021

The first thing that becomes obvious is how apparently minor matters can assume great importance on an extended road trip. So much so, that a humbling number do the conversion themselves, exactly the way they want it. Some of the idiosyncratic results are mobile 'grand designs', and I can only salute those who put in over a thousand hours to realise their dream. I swiftly concluded self build wasn't for me.....

Next I saw how Britain's 'cottage industry' manages to etch distinctive features from standard vans. Murvi's open lounge, WildAx's shower free wet room with space saving sliding door, AutoTrails boot space, to mention some. But the most imaginative ideas I saw were two from the continent.

Poessi's sliding wall

https://www.poessl-mobile.de/en/models/sondermodelle/summit-600-plus#&gid=pswg-forced&pid=5

https://www.poessl-mobile.de/en/models/sondermodelle/summit-600-plus#&gid=pswg-forced&pid=6

https://www.poessl-mobile.de/en/models/sondermodelle/summit-600-plus#&gid=pswg-forced&pid=7

and in first place knaus' popup which does so much more than provide a cramped bed space

https://www.knaus.com/en-int/camper-vans-cuv/cuv-pop-up-roof/highlights/

This one set me thinking that I remember from my youth that some VW's had roofs that pop'ed up flat from both ends. That set me wondering if it is possible to make a sub 2.1m van that can access all supermarkets , whilst providing good headroom once camped?

Certainly not being able to head off the ring road to top up supplies is a definite concern of mine, as town centres seem best avoided when possible.

What strikes me is that Possl made a rookie mistake of mounting a side window that will interfere with the sliding door. Leave that window open, open the door and you have a bent if not broken window...

If you want a low van you don't have many options beside those built on VW or Citroen Spacetourer (or Peugeot/Toyota/Opel/Vauxhall twins). For one person who doesn't mind a cramped space it can be perfect.

As regards non opening windows my newly acquired Timberland Destiny has similar design ‘faults’. The offside rear window in the lounge area is locked shut as the exhaust for the diesel heater is below it and the near side rear window has to be used with caution as if left open and the sliding door is used one broken window could result. To make matters more complicated the rear mounted bike carrier impedes the opening of the rear windows.

Have you considered Carthago's Malibu in some models of which a movable toilet creates more than adequate space for the shower?

Pop-up roofs are a great idea but have some drawbacks:

- Winter use and in cold climates.

- Installation of accessories such as solar panel, air conditioner, satellite antenna, etc almost impossible.

Max

We have the Malibu and out of the last 10 Motorhomes it’s by far the best.

Far better quality than the 3 LeVoyageurs we had.

The swivelling toilet does work really well giving ample room for the shower.

We had 1 slight rattle and I solved this the other day.

The movable shower wall is an idea already used by Adria and seems to work pretty well. My first van was a Mazda Bongo with an electrically operated 'pop-top'. The Knaus roof is neat and well equipped, but still suffers from the same problem as the Bongo and other similar pop-ups - it's really just a tent and suffers from the same problems of lack of heat insulation and noise deadening.

Interesting observations. I hadn't heard of Mailbu, but then Fiat list over 50 convertors and there's the other vans too.

I remember those Bongos used to be sort after as 'over-nighters' that were everyday useful too.

My accommodation requirements aren't too special, so am sure I should be happy with a standard conversion, but plan to spend plenty of time in it, so do need standing height. Looks like I'll have to bike to the shops, which is actually what I usually do from home, will have to see how that works out. I'll concentrate on getting a suitable trailer for my toys.

Newbie2021 - 2021-01-13 5:13 PM

My accommodation requirements aren't too special, so am sure I should be happy with a standard conversion, but plan to spend plenty of time in it, so do need standing height.

All those vans you've listed have plenty of standing height without a raising roof, that is there only for extra sleeping accommodation and will only give extra height in a little square. also whilst it is a handy size being MWB, it does loose out for interior space to the bigger LWB vans you have listed.

p.s. IIRC our van has internal height of 1.91m (6ft 3in) and those vans will be similar.

Archived