Thoughts on Devon Van Conversions

Helen99

Hello All

I am considering purchasing a Devon Van conversion as my first motorhome. Does anyone have any thoughts / experience / advice in relation to these - both good or bad ? I would hope to pick up a good second hand (pre loved!!) example.

Many thanks

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Helen.

It could be helpful if you have an idea which Devon Conversions model(s) you might buy - and roughly how old the vehicle would be - just in case a forum-member can provide ownership-experience advice.

For now, this 2019 Motorhome Fun discussion may be of interest

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/devon-conversions-ltd-pvcs-very-impressed.199436/

and there are 21 reviews here

https://tinyurl.com/ydyhe5dy

We seriously considered an Aztec but the washroom was even smaller than the Auto-sleeper Symphony we had at the time and spoke to Devon at a show about some slight alterations but they were not the least interested, it was 'thats how it comes, take it or leave it'. Pity , because I felt the finish and quality were very good. That of course was buying new, if you find a used van that suits you then I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

We have a Devon and we are totally satisfied with it. However we would only buy one again if they reintroduced the Renault base vehicle. Having had the Seval offerings previously I wouldn't touch another with a barge pole, they really are cheap and I guess that is why all the offerings of all manufacturers are built with them to inflate their profit margin!!

Basil

We bought a new Aztec in 2014. Loved it. Very well built. Only traded it in 2018 to get a new van with warranty. We did look at getting another Aztec but delivery times were up in the air. 9 months ..... maybe!

Would definitely buy another though we are very happy with our current Wildax Europa

I had a very bad experience with a Devon on the Volkswagen Crafter chassis. The conversion was excellent but the second hand Crafter was not a good one, it had multiple problems and the boss was not helpful. As my wife was suffering with severe depression I sold it rather than drag the situation through the courts.

Three ‘vans ago we bought a second hand (W plate) Devon Conversions Monte Carlo. It was one of the best ‘vans we’ve had. Based on the Renault Master it was pleasant to drive, economical and very reliable.

The conversion was well put together. We really liked the vehicle and only changed it because it was ageing and showing signs of wear. Nothing in the conversion actually broke. To date it’s the vehicle we’ve kept the longest, 5 or 6 years from memory.

We drove it thousands of miles through Europe and there were over 120k miles on the clock when we sold it.

Cattwg :-D

Thank you to you Derek Uzzell and everyone for your helpful and friendly replies. You have certainly given me some food for thought - and a lot of reading!!

I was initially interested in the Devon Colorado. Its attractions being its short length (5.4m), 2 single beds (although I now realise this is only on the newer models), 3/4 travelling seats, good value and rear door access. I also like the mid lounge / bedroom layout. I had not realised until I read the replies that it is not fully winterised and this may now prove to be a stumbling block.

The alternative I had been looking at was the Autotrail V Line 540 E.

I was hoping to find a used model say 3-5 years old with under 50,000 on the clock - ideally 3 years old with under 25,000 on the clock.

paulmold - 2020-06-07 9:43 AM

We seriously considered an Aztec but the washroom was even smaller than the Auto-sleeper Symphony we had at the time and spoke to Devon at a show about some slight alterations but they were not the least interested, it was 'thats how it comes, take it or leave it'. Pity , because I felt the finish and quality were very good. That of course was buying new, if you find a used van that suits you then I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Thank you for your thoughts. Good to know you considered the build quality was good but a little disappointed to hear that the converter is inflexible - I had hoped I would be able to get modifications made.

Basil - 2020-06-07 12:47 PM

We have a Devon and we are totally satisfied with it. However we would only buy one again if they reintroduced the Renault base vehicle. Having had the Seval offerings previously I wouldn't touch another with a barge pole, they really are cheap and I guess that is why all the offerings of all manufacturers are built with them to inflate their profit margin!!

Basil

Thank you for your comments - very helpful. How do you find it in cold weather ? I am concerned that Devon do not wnterise their vans.

Cattwg - 2020-06-08 9:09 AM

Three ‘vans ago we bought a second hand (W plate) Devon Conversions Monte Carlo. It was one of the best ‘vans we’ve had. Based on the Renault Master it was pleasant to drive, economical and very reliable.

The conversion was well put together. We really liked the vehicle and only changed it because it was ageing and showing signs of wear. Nothing in the conversion actually broke. To date it’s the vehicle we’ve kept the longest, 5 or 6 years from memory.

We drove it thousands of miles through Europe and there were over 120k miles on the clock when we sold it.

Thank you for your reply - good to know you were pleased with yours. How was it in cold weather? I am concerned that Devon does not winterise its vans

How much ‘winterisation’ are you looking for?

It’s quite common for UK mainstream manufacturers of panel-van conversions (PVCs) to install external fresh-water and waste-water tanks mounted beneath the vehicle’s metal underbody as this policy maximises the space available within the motorhome.

Continental-European PVC builders will usually fit the fresh-water tank inside the motorhome’s habitation area, but the waste-water tank will still be outside, though the tank may be insulated and/or heatable.

Some PVC builders fit single-glazed glass habitation-area windows, while others fit double-glazed acrylic plastic windows. Then there’s the type of insulation material used in the ceiling, walls and floor, and the thickness of the ceiling, walls and floor themselves.

PVCs are generally considered to be ‘3 Season’ (Spring, Summer, Autumn) motorhomes. if you want to use the vehicle throughout the winter and in very cold weather, you’ll need to be particularly careful with your choice.

Helen99 - 2020-06-15 10:47 PM

Basil - 2020-06-07 12:47 PM

Basil

Thank you for your comments - very helpful. How do you find it in cold weather ? I am concerned that Devon do not wnterise their vans.

We tour all year round including December, January and February and have been in the van with severe frosts, sleet and light snow but not heavy snow as yet, with temperatures as low as -8 to -10C. In terms of warmth within the van there is no problem at all the heating being more than adequate to cope with low temperatures and the insulation sufficient to keep us cosy and warm.

The water tanks, both fresh and waste are outside the van and we have had the waste outlet, which we leave open with a bowl beneath, freeze however this has not caused a major problem. The fresh tank we have insulated and installed a tank heater so this is no issue. I prefer the tanks to be outside as otherwise it would cut down on the internal storage capacity, something that you can find lacking in a PVC.

One of the best bits of our Devon Renault PVC is the large payload at 800Kg which is more than adequate for us.

There is no problem with condensation though we use an external windscreen cover (Taylormade) as well as internal Remis blinds, though they do not give insulation. The only issue I have not found an answer to is the internal insulation screens on the rear door windows, being a Renault Master. Never having been in an Alpine ski resort in the winter I cannot speak for that or any extreme temperature so I suppose it depends how you wish to use it all year round, for us it is great and at least equal to if not better than our previous coachbuilt.

The build quality is good, solid and there have been no build problems, we have had to change the shower room tap/shower as the chrome started peeling after around two years but that is not really Devons fault.

Basil

Helen99 - 2020-06-15 10:49 PM

Thank you for your reply - good to know you were pleased with yours. How was it in cold weather? I am concerned that Devon does not winterise its vans

No, the Monte Carlo was not winterized. However, we did use it in December coming home from Spain a few times. We were OK with the blown air heating in the evenings; we tended to use aires as most of the French sites are closed in December. However, it was cold in the mornings and one night we lost all our fresh water when the boiler low temperature valve opened. It operates at +5*C . There was ice on the ground outside.

Realistically if you want to use the ‘van early spring, late autumn and during the winter in the UK or north of Barcelona then campsites, with electric hook-up are a must.

Having said that we are on our seventh pvc (including the Commer I converted 35 years ago) and we have always found them suited to our purpose.

Spot on Basil, the biggest mistake was selling my Devon Renault auto Provence.

I have pleaded with Peter at devon to build me another , to no avail.

The whole package was superb, solid build, no rattles , no shakes, no water leaks and the fabulous Renault auto box.

Up and down to the village of Millau under the bridge was a test with flying colours.

Peter is not building on Renault`s anymore, I can only assume it is to do with the price,

You know the old saying, you get what you pay for.

It has spoilt me for other makes.

Alan.

Mickt - 2020-06-17 6:12 PM

I always leave my boiler on ,this means the dump will not work

That’s indeed the case if the appliance is a Truma C-Series combination air/water heater and has Truma’s electrically-operated safety/drain valve.

But in 2007 the C-Series range was superseded by “Combi” heaters and these appliances have a non-electrical “Frost Control” safety-drain valve that - if the temperature near the valve is sufficiently cold - will open even if the Combi heater has been switched on.

AED - 2020-06-18 9:06 AM

I can only assume it is to do with the price,

Alan.

The Renault Master along with many other vehicles using GM gearbox's have had more than it's fair share of problems, unlike Fiat, Renault have been very reluctant to help owners.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-06-18 9:28 AM

Mickt - 2020-06-17 6:12 PM

I always leave my boiler on ,this means the dump will not work

That’s indeed the case if the appliance is a Truma C-Series combination air/water heater and has Truma’s electrically-operated safety/drain valve.

But in 2007 the C-Series range was superseded by “Combi” heaters and these appliances have a non-electrical “Frost Control” safety-drain valve that - if the temperature near the valve is sufficiently cold - will open even if the Combi heater has been switched on.

...but a Truma Frost Control heating element can be retro-fitted as an accessory, which replicates the situation that used to exist on the C-series, whereby, if the Combi unit is powered on, the valve will not dump (as it is being kept warm).

It rather negates the advantage of having migrated to a "passive" system (the new valve as standard draws no current, the old valve had a constant, if small, current draw when the boiler was on, holding the valve shut) and I suspect the draw to power the accessory heater will not be as insignificant (specifications are hard to come by).

I must admit that I find it a pain in Winter having to heat the valve with a hairdryer so that I can fill the water system (the peg on the old valve was rather more convenient), but the potential current draw, and the £40 or so cost of the heater, doesn't make it attractive enough to buy.

Edited to add - consumption is up to 0.4A, so not insignificant.

The conversion that I had for a very short while, based on the Volkswagen Crafter, was not winterised. In cold weather a large amount of condensation formed on the inside of the steel overcab. As I drove off in the morning a deluge of condensate would drop down into the cab. The boss told me that they did not insulate the overcab as it was difficult to remove the roof lining without breaking the fixings. I managed to do it myself but on removing the lining I found that the vehicle had been involved in an overcab accident which had been bodged on the inside although the outside skin looked ok, until the rust began to break through... The boss did not want to know accusing me of pranging the overcab. Shame because we loved the conversion.

AED - 2020-06-18 9:06 AM

Spot on Basil, the biggest mistake was selling my Devon Renault auto Provence.

I have pleaded with Peter at devon to build me another , to no avail.

The whole package was superb, solid build, no rattles , no shakes, no water leaks and the fabulous Renault auto box.

Up and down to the village of Millau under the bridge was a test with flying colours.

Peter is not building on Renault`s anymore, I can only assume it is to do with the price,

Alan.

Yes I understand, from Devons sales manager, that Peter could not get the discounts he wanted from Renault and, as Peter is renowned to do, said ok if I can't get my way I won't buy Renaults any more, or something in that vein!!! A great pity in my view as I for one would have readily paid extra to have the Renault chassis, shot himself in the foot as far as I am concerned as we would have liked a new Provence.

Having had two of the other offerings I find the Renault by far a superior vehicle, just a personal opinion, but with the knowledge of experience of using different makes. It is unfortunate that there is such a limited choice now but i do know there are at least two mainstream PVC converters that still build on them

You are so right Basil.

Renault are superb and they are definitely available with extremely good discounts.

Having purchased 5 vans for my medical company and during my semi retirement I’ve purchased a Renault traffic 9 seater and later a 16 seater with amazing discount.

I deal with one company whom have a commercial arm allowing him to give thousands in discounts.

4 of the vans covered over 250.000 miles in 2 to 3 years and still looked and drove like new.

My preference would be a MH on a Renault chassis.

I really don’t like fiat.

A speedo you can’t see in daylight.

The heavy chassis crashes along.

Narrow front seats.

Water ingress to the engine area.

It’s a commercial vehicle built down to a price.

Renault are now supplying Mercedes with vans that are being rebadged.

Mercedes engineers went and looked at production and recommended better ways to build and the quality and stepped up again in quality.

I have a Malibu on a fiat chassis.

It’s very good, infact superb. It could be amazing if it were on Renault and even the new transit.

My son in law has 5 of the 16 seaters. Very nice to drive and I have purchased 2 of the new transit custom 9 seaters. Extremely good.

Den

Quite a number of Continental-European companies build campervans on a Renault Trafic base, plus a few UK converters, but I’m not aware of any converter currently using the Master.

The difficulty lies not just with pricing, but because Renault has essentially ignored the motorhome market. Ford and Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen both offer ‘camping-car’ chassis on to which coachbuilt bodywork can be grafted and AL-KO chassis can be added to the latter marques if so wished. The Mercedes Sprinter has been popular for RWD models, and FWD and an AL-KO chassis are now available. Renault’s Trafic is a viable campervan alternative to VW’s Transporter, but (realistically) the Trafic is unsuitable for anything much larger. Why would any mainstrem converter choose to use the Master when Ford, Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen and Mercedes can provide such wide versatility?

Derek Uzzell - 2020-06-21 6:21 PM

Quite a number of Continental-European companies build campervans on a Renault Trafic base, plus a few UK converters, but I’m not aware of any converter currently using the Master.

Our 2019 Wildax Europa is built on a Renault Master. We went for the auto option. Beautiful quiet drive though I prefer the Ducato steering which to me feels more precise and maybe a wee bit lighter

Archived