Throttle Body Saga Help at wits end

g4rio

Hello i am at my wits end this is my Saga..

I have a 2007 Auto trail Fiat 2.3 Ducato 33 130 m-jet mwb chassis no ZFA25000001053504

in 2014 i had the throttle body problem in France intermittent tick over managed to get home

went to local garage who give me a code P0638 and said throttle body or GR Valve so i had new GR valve fitted ...But this did not stop the management light coming on and giving code p0638.

On the advice from my garage i was able to use my van for 4 years with the light on and code p0638 with no problems in that time i would now and then reset with code reader and eventually it would through up another code but drive as normal. Now the MOT has changed and they check management light working.

i have found i could not reset code and delete light . So having read all the posts on hear over the past years decided to get a new throttle body fitted my local garage checked code said it was needed.

They did not fit the new type body but fitted one as original Fiat part made in Italy 12/12/16 they seem to think the new type would not fit.

When they road tested after fitting they found after 4 miles seems when engine gets to normal temperature engine throws a code p0638 up and i get juddering load sucking noise intermittent the garage cannot seem to sort it they did not charge me for fitting only for the part itself.

So i thought i would fit new solenoid vale but this had no effect . Then i saw a video on utube which said

the wire in body plug can fail with heat managed to get replacement plug from Germany but no joy still have problem. Now at wits end should i try another throttle body have looked for broken wires no joy

The van is worse now than before the new throttle body was fitted.

Thanks any help would be appreciated Sid

A professional Fiat specific diagnostic kit is able to control the throttle body actuator and indicate functionality or not. This may give more information as to the cause of the problem. The wiring loom behind the passenger headlight and the connections to the fuse box and ecu are a known problem area that could be compromising the signals to and from the throttle body.

The later type body requires a wiring loom part, often supplied with the body. A quick look on eBay suggests the genuine Fiat/Iveco part with loom is less that £200.

Mike

Hello,

The early throttle bodies that were fitted to your vehicle from new are no longer available and have been unavailable even as reconditioned units since about 2010 so if your replacement was made in 2016 it must be of the later design and would have required a conversion cable because the plugs are different on any made after 2009.

Anyway; none of this is important because even if you had got a new/old unit it would work and solve the problem if the problem was the throttle body. It did not so it is not.

You must have a wiring fault. It is quite common to get a broken or abraided cable in the short piece of wiring that goes from and to the EGR solenoid and since this is the easiest to check, i would start there. If that is OK i would start checking every part of the engine loom but concentrating on the route of the throttle body and EGR solenoid wiring first. The fault will surely be somewhere in there. I have not had any cases of P0638 being caused by the 'rusty junction' (blue connector under the fusebox) but it is not impossible and therefore all of the wires under the fusebox need to be checked. The engine loom is connected to the left hand side of the ECU and 'rusty junction'. The other side of rusty junction is a bundle of cables that lead to the cab and to the other side of the ECU. You should start unwrapping the insulation in this area if you find nothing in the other areas. I think due to the severity of the problem you will eventually find a heavily oxidised cable that has rubbed onto another over time and compromised the insulation. It may be hanging on by a thread but is probably broken. Handle with care and don't pull on any cables!

This is a long and laborious task but you will find it if you persevere. Best of luck.

N

Hello Guys

I have been away on business.

so now i wish to Thank everyone that replied and i will start hunting for a bad connection and will let you now how i get on .Hope it is sorted before January so we can go to Spain.

Regards

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have not resolved the problem and the light is still on ...so no mot ...can not find an answer to my problem on line

Have replaced Trottlebody ,soliode and some wiring ....so any body got an answer I would be truly great full as over 1500 euro spent trying to resolve it

God bless

Dominick

Archived