Thule Velocompact 927 towbar bike rack

curdle

My recent travails continue. Following a cycle accident and a newly replaced hip, a fellow driver witnessed me struggling with my zimmer frame and offered to reverse my motorhome from a pitch for me. It seemed a friendly gesture, except that he had not reckoned on my rear towbar mounted bike rack and crunched into another vehicle (fortunately no damage to that vehicle, small mercies). The impact has bent the full length aluminium wheel channel on the rack, distorting the rear light board.It also bent the rear wheel and hub and possibly the rear fork of a Moustache e-bike which then also cracked my rear MH tail light for good measure.

I was not unduly concerned about the bike rack since Thule has a fairly comprehensive spare parts list. To my shock, however, the channel is NOT listed with a part number. I have chatted to several Thule dealers and they have all told me that as a consequence the part will certainly not be available. For the want of this part, a £360.00 bike carrier will now be useless because it is a crucial element for the lighting attachments. Owners of other older Thule products such as awnings will know that certain spares can be virtually impossible to find and Thule customer service is non existent for end consumers.

Colin pointed me to motorhome breakers, now what I need is bike rack breaker. Any suggestions out there?

Have you tried through firms such as Hill View Awnings? They are Thule/Omnistor suppliers/fitters, and they do sell the bike racks. I have always found they very helpful. They may be able to get parts that are not on direct sale to the public. I suspect that the wheel channels will be a fairly standard extrusion common to a number of their carriers, so it may not be critical that it is not listed as a spare for your particular rack. Worth a try?

Have a look here: https://tinyurl.com/y4j7w48q and scroll down to the mention of the Fourth bike holder, available as an accessory.

It appears to be, if not the same as, then very close to, the profile of the third bike holder on the model reviewed.

Thule list this as the Thule VeloSpace XT Bike adaptor at £150. Part No 038100. Superficially, this profiled (I assume) tube appears the same as that used for the two bike carrier. So, although stated to be an accessory, and sold with various bits you wouldn't need, it would be cheaper than a new rack - if it could be adapted.

There is a list of spares for this, but again, the tube itself is apparently not available as a spare.

I'd still suggest a chat with Hill View Awnings (Here: https://tinyurl.com/y3smzmat ) to see what they can get. Try to get hold of Brent or Tina Horder, they are both directors and it is their business.

Located on a trading estate at Sturminster Marshall, Dorset, about 7 miles North West of Poole, here: N50.79365 W2.07096. Closed to public at present, but open for phone/internet business.

Thanks Brian, I will follow up with Hill View Awnings. I had cottoned onto the extra tube but in discussing it with a Thule dealer he was not certain that it would work. Ideally I need someone prepared to actually physically compare the part with that of the rack or be prepared to take the tube back for a refund if it does not work.

Brian Kirby - 2021-02-03 6:41 PM

I'd still suggest a chat with Hill View Awnings (Here: https://tinyurl.com/y3smzmat ) to see what they can get. Try to get hold of Brent or Tina Horder, they are both directors and it is their business.

Tina suggests the 4th bike adapter should work, so I have ordered one. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the lead.

curdle - 2021-02-03 12:36 PM

Thanks Brian, I will follow up with Hill View Awnings. I had cottoned onto the extra tube but in discussing it with a Thule dealer he was not certain that it would work. Ideally I need someone prepared to actually physically compare the part with that of the rack or be prepared to take the tube back for a refund if it does not work.

You could also try Rose Awnings at Poole, they are the other main Thule agent

https://www.roseawnings.co.uk/

I've always found them very helpful.

Brian Kirby - 2021-02-03 9:36 PM

I guess new fixing points may need to be drilled. Have you been able to remove the original to see how it is actually attached? Hope it all goes well. If not, can you return it?

I have stripped it down and now I think it is salvageable. I think a heavy vice and something like a scaffold pipe for leverage will allow me to straighten it out to some degree. It won't look pretty but I think it will work. The fixing system is pretty easy. The underside of the channel has a slot for square nuts that you just slide to the appropriate location for the corresponding bolt, similar to some of the eyebolt systems in motorhome garages. My overwhelming emotion is extreme annoyance with Thule. They have already confirmed via a dealer that they will not supply the part. It would be so fundamentally simple to replace, it is frankly an outrage that they can get away with this.

Have you tried contacting Thule directly in Malmö.

I have in the past had to contact several companies to do with my profession after being told by the importers / Agents that it was impossible for them to supply me with the necessary parts I required.

It worked every time.

Archived