Ticks

Norma

Guest Norma
Reading my earlier question about ferries has reminded me about another point. I didn't realise, and don't remember reading on this page, that in France most people protect against ticks once a month. In future for our longer trip we will have the mutt done before we go and take stuff with us to keep her covered while we away. You still have to do the 'home' dose at the vets for the stamp in the passport.

Guest PeteC
Hi Norma You also get ticks on any of the moorlands where sheep live & They affect dogs Its not only France where you have to take care

Guest David
Hi Norma and Pete.C Its not only sheep, dogs are likely to get Ticks from Hedgehogs and Deer as much as sheep, dont forget that sheep are dipped against ticks whereas the other two are not. Sister in law lives in Switzerland and has a House in France which they visit regularly, they have two dogs but dont get much trouble from Ticks. Its like Rabis I have been going to France since the early sixties and have never seen a Rabid animal yet. Yes by all means take the precautions it is better to be safe than sorry. David.

Guest Peter
We live in Cumbria (lots of sheep) and spend a lot of time in Scotland (lots of deer) so we "Frontline" our dog about once a month through the summer, I did not know that you could protect humans though so any information would be of interest.

Guest Clive
If you need Frontline then purchase it in France. Its available "off the shelf" in pet shops over there but in the UK only from the Vets - at twice the price!

Guest Sylvia
Ticks: Some years ago at the CC Sandringham Site everybody's dogs got ticks from the deer coming down through the bracken by the pathways up from the site into the Sandringham Park - it became quite a normal talking point, you would be tickling a dog on its chest and would quite casually remark "Oh, I think there are a few ticks here" and off they would go to get the cigarette end, vaseline, surgical spirit or whatever each person used to combat the problem. One lady had got a tick on her stomach on a previous visit, hadn't realised what it was, scratched it off and ended up in hospital to have the head removed from her tummy and also treatment to prevent Lynes (spelling) Disease, which can be very bad. She certainly had a hard time of it and was left with permanent scarring. Can't abide the little b.....s! Ugh. Oh, the joys of fresh air, wildlife etc.etc.

Archived