To Go or Not to Go.

Ninian

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I read somewhere else, if you did catch it where would you rather be - at home or trapped somewhere abroad? You yourself might not be too bothered about the risks involved but how would relatives at home feel about you travelling? Finally, what about an individuals responsibility to reduce the risk of picking up the virus and taking it home and infecting other people?

What I didnt know until recently, on average 17,000 persons die each year from flu and colds so the virus has a long way to go. As you'll be in your own van you wont be in such close contact with others as those stopping in hotels. Unless you're going to lock yourself away I think you've got a chance of catching it where ever you go but where would you like to be treated if you did catch it? Only you can decide.

This virus is 10 to 20 times more lethal than flu as a percentage. That said with reasonable precautions like don’t panic, wash your hands, 99 % of the population will survive. You are more likely to get killed in a road accident. Have a nice trip......just don’t shake anyone’s hand.

The uk citizen who died wasn’t in the uk. But japan.

My brother in law living in Thailand caught the virus on a bus and although it knocked him off his feet for one day very quickly recovered.

Some people don’t even know they’ve caught it.

It can be very mild or in some cases very nasty.

I personally wouldn’t go to northern Italy at the moment.

But it won’t stop going to France shortly and to our apartment later in the year.

Soap and water used regular is the best deterrent.

Cleaning any switches, door handles ect will help.

Enjoy your holiday and take care.

Den

I’ve been following this issue from early on due to knowing people working in China, its evolution has been both fascinating and instructive.

My current understanding is that approx 20% of people exposed to Covid-19 are likely to develop serious complications. Those most at risk are those with compromised immune systems – which includes anyone over 65 (which seems somewhat of a random older age point to me). Children appear to have a robust response to the virus which is a blessing. Sunny weather will reduce infection rates (ultraviolet rays quickly destroy the virus outside of the body). Mortality rates are understood to be about 1-2% of infections although given how many mild cases of infection there are it’s possible that many infections go unreported. I suspect that a significant proportion of readers of this forum (myself included) should do their best to avoid exposure to the virus.

Having said all that, there’s little doubt that the virus will eventually spread in the UK, France etc although with the containment strategies being invoked the likelihood of catching it at the moment is minimal in most countries (Italy excluded).

So personally, in your position I’d still head for Continental Europe and just keep an eye on the country specific infection rates before heading off anywhere. Personally, I suspect there’s more chance of catching seasonal flu at the moment. If country specific infection rates soar (tens of thousands) then I suggest you have a plan ‘B’ prepared. And if you do fall ill, try to do so in France, best medical care in the world (WHO and personal observation)

Will86 - 2020-02-29 4:09 PM

The modern trend of hugging should be banned, my family banned it from my birth which is why I'm fit and well at 90 plus

A novel approach as always. We’ve always been huggers, which is possibly why we’ve built up an immunity to most of what’s out there, that and the fact that one of us was a primary school teacher. This new thing on the other hand . . .?

BruceM - 2020-02-29 4:06 PM

I’ve been following this issue from early on due to knowing people working in China, its evolution has been both fascinating and instructive.

My current understanding is that approx 20% of people exposed to Covid-19 are likely to develop serious complications. Those most at risk are those with compromised immune systems – which includes anyone over 65 (which seems somewhat of a random older age point to me). Children appear to have a robust response to the virus which is a blessing. Sunny weather will reduce infection rates (ultraviolet rays quickly destroy the virus outside of the body). Mortality rates are understood to be about 1-2% of infections although given how many mild cases of infection there are it’s possible that many infections go unreported. I suspect that a significant proportion of readers of this forum (myself included) should do their best to avoid exposure to the virus.

Having said all that, there’s little doubt that the virus will eventually spread in the UK, France etc although with the containment strategies being invoked the likelihood of catching it at the moment is minimal in most countries (Italy excluded).

So personally, in your position I’d still head for Continental Europe and just keep an eye on the country specific infection rates before heading off anywhere. Personally, I suspect there’s more chance of catching seasonal flu at the moment. If country specific infection rates soar (tens of thousands) then I suggest you have a plan ‘B’ prepared. And if you do fall ill, try to do so in France, best medical care in the world (WHO and personal observation)

Somewhat inevitably, it is a constantly changing picture. This "Scientist" article is reasonably up to date, and as factual and non-hysterical as one might expect. https://tinyurl.com/w227vnd

The one country that would cause me more concern than most others, is Italy. I like Italy and the Italians, but their numbers don't add up. The present average for mortality is around 1 - 2% of known sufferers. Recorded deaths are now 21, while recorded cases are around 800. There are a substantial number of people in Italy who have not yet been diagnosed. The same is inevitable in all countries but in western Europe it seems the Italians have the biggest problem with identifying the sufferers.

The problem is not primarily the virus: it is people who carry, and spread the infection, and their social habits are likely to contribute disproportionately to this. Personal space, in Italy, is in very short supply!

I was reading a report a few days ago which alleged that in China the deaths reported are roughly correct but it is thought only 10% of infected people are recorded. Most people appear to have only mild symptoms and they are keeping out of way of the authorities.

As I mentioned on another post we have cancelled any plans for an overseas trip this year. Australian (almost English) is our only fluent language so keeping up with the latest news in a non English speaking country is not always easy. I would rather be isolated in a different location to home within AU than in a European country. We are both over seventy and while in excellent health why take a chance. My better half is a retired Virolodist and keeps telling me that the stats on the flu virus are that it kills thousands each year. It could be a double whammy this winter so we are staying in AU and take our chances here. Then again I have never been a risk taker, mitigate your chances usually works for me. Might see you in Italy next year. Cheers,

Biggest risk area as far as I can see is the Ferry or tunnel breathing the same air as everyone else worst the longer trip like on Ferry to Spain Theirs always a chance if some one on board comes down with it you could be confined on board for 2 weeks or more with out much chance then of not catching it like the cruise ship in Japan

Hi, Thanks for all the replies, yes that was one of my worries, as we are starting off with an 18 hour boat journey from Ireland to Cherbourg and not knowing wether we had contracted it or not. We haven't made up our minds yet regarding travelling but we will have to before Thursday as that's our cut off point. We'll just have to forfeit our deposit if we decide not to travel. ??????

It could be argued that you are at risk of catching the virus anywhere so, as long as you avoid travelling to a location with a know higher rate of cases and take all reasonable precautions, there is no more risk going abroad than staying at home but, as I said earlier, are you happy taking the risk that you catch it whilst abroad with all the additional hassle that is likely to bring? On balance I probably would not go abroad just at the moment, partly for the reason outlined above and partly for the reason that our daughter would worry too much and I see no reason to put her through that worry, unfounded or not. It is not the end of the world to forgo foreign for a while and there is plenty to see in the UK.

Ninian - 2020-03-01 5:19 PM

Hi, Thanks for all the replies, yes that was one of my worries, as we are starting off with an 18 hour boat journey from Ireland to Cherbourg and not knowing wether we had contracted it or not. We haven't made up our minds yet regarding travelling but we will have to before Thursday as that's our cut off point. We'll just have to forfeit our deposit if we decide not to travel. ??????

Have you considered asking whether the deposit is refundable, and if not, whether you can merely postpone your booking and if so, for how long? You may be able to put it back for several months.

Hi Brian, The deposit is non-refundable and to delay departure you have to give another departure date plus pay for the change. The ferry company would probably also ask for FULL payment which is what I'm trying to avoid if the virus was to escalate.

Ninian - 2020-03-01 7:53 PM

Hi Brian, The deposit is non-refundable and to delay departure you have to give another departure date plus pay for the change. The ferry company would probably also ask for FULL payment which is what I'm trying to avoid if the virus was to escalate.

There are many uncertainties but whether the coronavirus outbreak will escalate is not one of them - it certainly is going to escalate. If you are in a vulnerable age or health group, you therefore need to plan to be able to self-isolate to minimise the risk of infection and to be in the best position to survive a serious illness if it gets you, wherever you are.

A motorhome is no place to be living if you get a serious illness; I experienced a norovirus episode lasting 36 hours a couple of years ago in the MH and it was absolutely awful - and NHS 111 was no use at all. The coronavirus gives us older folks a much more serious illness and if you get viral pneumonia and intensive care beds are overwhelmed, which they almost certainly will be, you will be unable to get the care you need and so you will probably die. I doubt that you will fare better in France in this respect than in UK.

So if you think you can self-isolate for a couple of months or more in your MH in some lonely place go ahead - otherwise stay at home, be prepared to self-isolate for an extended period (lots of tinned food etc) and hope you don't contract the infection.

Given that the situation is getting worse, given that the consequences of getting the lurgy range from very inconvenient to fatal, given that the older you are the worse it is and given that some medical conditions make it more serious.... would you now choose to go travelling unless you had already booked? If the answer is no then that is a clue to what you should do.

Perhaps this breaking news will help the op decide;

Coronavirus now confirmed in all but one country in western Europe

Health commissioner Stella Kyriakides said 2,100 cases of coronavirus were confirmed in 18 of the 27 EU states, and 38 EU citizens had died because of the disease. The escalating epidemic has overwhelmed Italy’s public health system. Lombardy accounts for 984 of the country’s 1,694 confirmed cases.

https://tinyurl.com/saw9ecl

The risk of getting killed in a uk road traffic accident is 1 in 20,000. 23 people out of 60 million have proved positive to tests. Certainly it is worse for both in the EU, so you are still more likely to get killed in a road traffic accident . We don’t need to panic over this. Yes the elderly are more at risk, but if you want less risk don’t driver your Motorhome.

Archived