To service the van or not?

costaexpress

I had my previous van serviced every year, averaging around 12k per annum, and so the need and cost seemed balanced and worthwhile. I bought this van 2 years ago (end of May), the first year I only managed 10k as Covid impacted on first half of 2020, however, I still had it serviced, thought it was a good idea to have it checked over. This year (June 2020 to May 2021) I have only managed 5k miles as a result of Covid restrictions and I am wondering whether to leave the servicing until later in the year rather than the end of May. I was wondering what others have decided to do?

Check what is the base vehicle manufacturer's recommended service schedule in years and miles. That information should be in your service handbook. I would follow that guidance, especially if the base vehicle is still under warranty.

I have averaged about 3,000 miles per year over the last seven years and I always get it serviced annually, which generally amounts to an oil and filter change and a health check all round for peace of mind. I prefer to get an annual oil change for what it costs and for a mechanic to look it over once a year just in case they spot something that needs attention.

Don636 - 2021-05-06 1:59 PM

I have averaged about 3,000 miles per year over the last seven years and I always get it serviced annually, which generally amounts to an oil and filter change and a health check all round for peace of mind. I prefer to get an annual oil change for what it costs and for a mechanic to look it over once a year just in case they spot something that needs attention.

I must confess that is what is in the back of my mind, if I simply followed the service schedule I didn't need to have had it serviced last year, think the first recommended one was two years or 18k miles,

My van is three years old in a week or so. I took it for its first MOT yesterday and had a interim service at the same time,( basic service with oil change). Felt it was worth it even if only did less than 2000 last year, total of 18000 from new. Passed mot so now just waiting for France to open up but think we will wait for least December for our 3 months winter trip to Spain. Like last year will go to places we have never been before in the UK . B-)

My take on this is if you have not travelled far since the last service will the oil deteriorate if left in the sump more than a can of oil sat in a shelf. If the dipstick shows pretty clean oil I am sure it would be good for a service at a later date as long as the service book guidelines are not ignored.

The service schedule for the base vehicle is not really appropriate for the use that it is put to as a motorhome. The low annual mileage for a motorhome wouldn't normally suggest a full service, but even a few thousands of miles followed by a long winter with little or no use isn't the best treatment of the engine. The acid in the oil from combustion, if left for months, does the engine no good. My routine is to have a service every autumn before the period of reduced (or no) use so the engine has clean oil. At the same time an overall check of the running gear will ensure all is satisfactory.

Dick

I would at least change the engine oil, unless there are warranty requirements obligating something more.

Even 5000 miles, unless largely done as a few hefty distance trips will still reflect a lot of cold starts.

DickB - 2021-05-06 11:14 PM

The service schedule for the base vehicle is not really appropriate for the use that it is put to as a motorhome. The low annual mileage for a motorhome wouldn't normally suggest a full service, but even a few thousands of miles followed by a long winter with little or no use isn't the best treatment of the engine. The acid in the oil from combustion, if left for months, does the engine no good. My routine is to have a service every autumn before the period of reduced (or no) use so the engine has clean oil. At the same time an overall check of the running gear will ensure all is satisfactory.

Dick

Exactly. The bi-annual oil change interval is a headline period designed to appeal to fleet buyers whose vehicles travel starship mileages within a few years. The Ducato handbook refers to recommended annual oil changes in certain conditions, but is a little vague as to what they constitute. Iveco (who jointly designed and manufacture the same multijet engines) are more precise. They state that any vehicle travelling less than 12,500 miles per year should have an annual oil change, and any vehicle that has stood for more than 3 months should have an oil change before starting the engine. Starting and idling the engine for short periods to avoid the latter requirement is likely to worsen the situation in that even more acids and other combustion by-products will be deposited in the oil and not burned off by normal use.

Deneb - 2021-05-07 8:59 AM

DickB - 2021-05-06 11:14 PM

Dick

Exactly. The bi-annual oil change interval is a headline period designed to appeal to fleet buyers whose vehicles travel starship mileages within a few years. The Ducato handbook refers to recommended annual oil changes in certain conditions, but is a little vague as to what they constitute. Iveco (who jointly designed and manufacture the same multijet engines) are more precise. They state that any vehicle travelling less than 12,500 miles per year should have an annual oil change, and any vehicle that has stood for more than 3 months should have an oil change before starting the engine. Starting and idling the engine for short periods to avoid the latter requirement is likely to worsen the situation in that even more acids and other combustion by-products will be deposited in the oil and not burned off by normal use.

Thanks, very informative, decision made, time to ring Peterborough Motorhomes and get booked in

Archived