Toilet paper ?

Kennyd

It is my belief that the recommendations on toilet roll date back to the days of Izal, modern soft toilet tissue breaks down fine in a cassette, we use the same as at home. What must be avoided is the 'wipes', these dispite what they say on the packet don't break down and have caused problems in sewers.

PJay - 2018-10-30 10:34 AM

I always bought ours in France/Spain, as they have septic tanks, so the paper will dissolve easier.

PJay

Thanks for the tip PJay. We usually buy in France and go for the cheapest, which is normally the thinnest and dissolves easily.

I must lookup the French for "septic tank" 8-)

Robbo - 2018-10-30 11:43 AM

PJay - 2018-10-30 10:34 AM

I always bought ours in France/Spain, as they have septic tanks, so the paper will dissolve easier.

PJay

Thanks for the tip PJay. We usually buy in France and go for the cheapest, which is normally the thinnest and dissolves easily.

I must lookup the French for "septic tank" 8-)

Fosse Septique.

When we lived in France with a house with a Fosse we just used normal toilet paper from any supermarket, there is no need for anything special.

colin - 2018-10-30 11:01 AM

It is my belief that the recommendations on toilet roll date back to the days of Izal, modern soft toilet tissue breaks down fine in a cassette, we use the same as at home. What must be avoided is the 'wipes', these dispite what they say on the packet don't break down and have caused problems in sewers.

It is my belief that it has more to do with Thetford trying to convince us all to use their own branded and very expensive bum paper. It didn't fool us either!!

Mickt - 2018-10-30 11:03 AM

I have the Saxon brand, no mention of septic tanks but it does disolve well

I also use Saxon-brand toilet paper - the “Superior” version bought from Aldi. Despite my motorhome’s Thetford toilet having a SOG ventilation system (so no toilet chemicals used) the Saxon paper still dissolves rapidly. Also the layers of paper don’t come apart and the sheets separate cleanly across their perforations - things that are often not true for ultra-cheap papers.

‘Fast dissolve’ toilet paper is marketed for septic-tank systems (and for motorhome toilets) but on-line received wisdom seems to be that it’s unnecessary in both cases.

https://www.mrrooter.com/greater-syracuse/about-us/blog/2017/july/what-you-need-to-know-about-toilet-paper-and-sep/

(To minimise the chance of a toilet-paper roll unwinding itself while the motorhome is being driven, just squash the roll to ‘ovalise’ the cardboard tube in the roll’s centre.)

When we bought our first MH in 1991, we were advised by the supplying dealer (Robsons of Wolsingham), to use normal domestic paper. Our preferred paper is ASDA Shades, which currently only seems to be available in white. This brand has been found to be fit for purpose, both in our MH, and for domestic use which includes a septic tank.

In order to make the rolls fit into the Thetford recess, we use new rolls in the house for a day or so, before replenishing the MH stock.

To go off thread slightly, and I do know that what I am about to mention has been discussed previously, what should be avoided is non biological toilet fluid containing formaldehyde. This chemical causes serious problems with septic tanks.

Alan

We always preferred paper that tore at the perforations and did not disintegtate before it reached the cassette so Andrex was our first choice for convenience!

Never the Sun, it may have shone elsewhere but it did not appeal to have it shine just there for us!

Slightly off message but relevant.

We use Fosse Septique granules from Leclerc to clean out the grey water tank. Just one sachet and water left in overnight or longer cleans all the residue in the tank. Those little biological blighters munch through anything :-D

Oh yes and we're long term users of the SOG system - excellent invention which works well in all situations.

Archived