Torcross to Dartmouth

7ncj

We had a great night away near Torcross in Devon this weekend.

We arrived and left via Kingsbridge, noting all sites in that area recommend that route in.

Before heading home we stopped at Slapton memorial and beach for a while and were very tempted to head home via Dartmouth and the higher ferry. Chickened out though. For future reference, has anyone driven that part of the A379. How doable is it in normalish motorhome?

Used the route a few times in my van, just take your time its a lovely scenic route ( for passengers ) driver keep your eyes on the road. Double decker buses use it and they have no problem.

There is a tight bottle neck in Stoke Fleming but you will find most local drivers are very courteous, I have in the past used a large lorry or bus in front of me to pave the way as it were :-D . My coach built van is under 6mtrs long, and of course if you travel early morning you would hardly encounter any traffic.

chas - 2020-07-07 10:51 AM

Used the route a few times in my van, just take your time its a lovely scenic route ( for passengers ) driver keep your eyes on the road. Double decker buses use it and they have no problem.

There is a tight bottle neck in Stoke Fleming but you will find most local drivers are very courteous, I have in the past used a large lorry or bus in front of me to pave the way as it were :-D . My coach built van is under 6mtrs long, and of course if you travel early morning you would hardly encounter any traffic.

Just as Chas has said, it is perfectly doable with care - particularly through the villages of Strete and Stoke Flemming.

I know the road reasonably well, and have driven our previous coachbuilt motorhome quite a few times between Slapton Ley and Dartmouth.

A truly beautiful part of the world IMHO. B-)

The Higher Ferry is OK to use but you need to watch your back end when the tide is low as the ramp/boat junction can be sharp enough to scrape the rear end on the concrete. Unless you've got air ride suspension and good ground clearance.

The last ferry is only 9 pm so not much help for a late night out.

:-D

Archived