Totally and utterly p*ssed off !!!

steveandlisa

Hello :'(

Set off this morning with her indoors for a long weekend break down to West Bay, Dorset. Left home around 10.15 am, called into the local garage for diesel and off we went. 3 mins and less than half a mile later engine warning light and buzzer alarm with CHECK ENGINE notification. "NO POWER" she`s gone into limp home mode >:-( ( We`ve travelled about 1 mile from home.) So we pull over in a safe place and call the RAC, RAC man comes after 1hr 45mins and diagnosis EGR failure and says I need a tow. 3hrs 15mins later after the RAC has gone a low-loader turns up (5hours has gone by now) and takes us to a garage of my choice, its now 16.30 pm. Garage has estimated around £400 to fix, so no long weekend break and an extra £400 to boot grrrrrrrr.

Steve.

You have my sympathy Steve as i had exactly the same problem one year......though in Belgium when just about to set off on tour. The van had driven 300 miles from home to Dunkerque port without any issue at all but when i came to leave the following day after an overnight stop, the dreaded engine management light came on and engine went into "limp mode".

A breakdown truck took me to a Ford Garage in France, but they couldn't repair. I tried a Bosch place in Belgium but he couldn't sort it either and i had to get the breakdown to flat bed the van back home.

I'm not familiar with your engine type but what sorted mine was two things, the info of which may, or may not be of help to you.

My problem was caused by the fuel pump computer electronics. Ford used Epic fuel pumps which are no longer made. Sourcing a used one isn't easy as the electronics also have to be calibrated. My van now has a Bosch mechanical fuel pump which dispenses with the silly 'fly by wire' electronics. But i had to find someone who knew how to convert the Bosch pump to run with turbo and all in the job cost me around £700 including pump, jets, and of course now i have a throttle cable.

I get slightly better mpg now but torque improved vastly and is very noticeable.

Well she`s back from the garage now,

Garage checked fault codes and they all pointed to an EGR fault. I mean what is really the point of fitting these things that can cause the engine to burn more fuel and oil when they go wrong and create more pollution in their doing so, and then take into consideration the expense, materials, power and pollution to actually make these things against what they actually save in exhaust emissions. Anyway my garage recommended a (Celtic Tuning EGR/Delete and remap) which was performed. Took about an hour cost £396 including labour and VAT.

Started her up, no dash warning lights and power feels fine, drove her home and all seems well again. Got another journey coming up in a few weeks so hopefully no more EGR problems.

The EGR valve is not fitted for entertainment value but some powerplants (eg the Ford Puma variants of which your 2.2litre motor is one) are evidently more prone to EGR faults than others.

The purpose of the EGR is explained on the Celtic Tuning website

https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/services/egr-removal-delete

and you’ll note the caveat in the “IS EGR REMOVAL LEGAL?” section.

My previous Hobby motorhome was fitted with Ford’s 2.0litre TDCi motor (an earlier “Puma” than yours) with a variable-geometry turbocharger. This motor was used in a lot of cars as well as in the Ford Transit and it became well known that the mechanism that adjusted the turbo’s geometry could jam internally. This happened on the Hobby and cost £800 to correct, most of it in labour charges for removing the turbo to have it cleaned and then refitting it.

Sadly, one of a vehicle’s basic terms of reference is to infuriate its owner and fritter away his/her cash.

Sorry to hear your woes but I had exactly the same symptoms last week on my Kia Sportage. Spoke to Kia dealer and he said it sounded like EGR valve and they'd do diagnostics on their machine for £86 and a fix for around a couple of hundred. Halfords quoted much the same and local mobile mechanic came and had a look and using his machine he reprogrammed and reset the EGR for £25 though to be honest he doesn't know how long it'll be before it goes again and will then need a new valve. Google price for mine for the Kia is £35 and one for your Peugeot ranges from £30-£120. just google it

steveandlisa - 2019-05-29 10:33 PM

I mean what is really the point of fitting these things

The point is to reduce harmful emissions. A secondary benefit is avoiding the possibility of a £2,500 fine for using a vehicle on the road without one.

stevec176 - 2019-05-30 11:19 PM

For future reference for of us with a Fiat how was it easily resolved on your Fiat?

Get underneath and locate the valve which is in the. exhaust line. Mine was very tight to move and once e asked off and lubricated sorted the problem of limp mode. I also found when engine started to go into limp mode lifting the foot off accelerator very slightly kept the engine out of limp mode

I assume your reference to a Fiat relates to the 2005 Kon-Tiki that you’ve referred to in the past?

It needs saying that the location of an EGR valve will vary according to the make and type of motor, and where it is on the motors fitted to 2005 Ducatos won’t necessarily be where it is on later powerplants. This will be apparent from this Fiat Forum discussion

https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/215768-2007-ducato-egr-valve-location.html

(As you’ve asked about a 2008 Peugeot engine, presumably you’ve changed your motorhome?)

Derek Uzzell - 2019-05-31 8:25 AM

I assume your reference to a Fiat relates to the 2005 Kon-Tiki that you’ve referred to in the past?

It needs saying that the location of an EGR valve will vary according to the make and type of motor, and where it is on the motors fitted to 2005 Ducatos won’t necessarily be where it is on later powerplants. This will be apparent from this Fiat Forum discussion

https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/215768-2007-ducato-egr-valve-location.html

(As you’ve asked about a 2008 Peugeot engine, presumably you’ve changed your motorhome?)

Yes, this was my old Kontiki

I would image because of its function the EGR will be In the exhaust line so following exhaust pipe should come to it?

I have changed to the Peugeot as not prepared to have a second medical for C1

I can emphasise Steve, ours broke down on the way to see the Tour de France when it came to Yorkshire. Something I've always wanted to see, we even were child free. It turned out to be our High Pressure Fuel Pump and cost £1200.

On another point.

If anyone was considering removing and cleaning one. Mr

Muscle oven cleaner does the job.

It will clean up a turbo wastegate also.

sshortcircuit - 2019-05-31 9:56 AM

...I have changed to the Peugeot as not prepared to have a second medical for C1

Might be worth you updatiing your forum Profile so that your postings indicate what you now own. The amount of information that can be entered into the Location field is limited but - as will be seen from my own postings - with care enough can be entered to adequately describe the motorhome.

Hi stevenlisa, can I repeat Derek's warning that removing the egr makes you moho illegal to drive?

Celtic tuning make this clear on their website, and when I had my MOT recently I had a chat to the tester about the new, more stringent regulations about emissions.

Until last May testers just did a visual smoke test on diesels, they now have to check the function of egr's, dpf's and have emissions limits.

New Testable Items

Brake fluid

Additional braking device performance

Daytime running lamps

Front fog lamps

Reversing lamps

Bumpers

Prop shafts

All rear drive shafts

Cab security

Cab steps

Floors

Passenger hand grips (quads and heavy trikes only)

Noise suppression material

Undertray security

Emission control equipment

? Oxygen sensor

? NOx sensor

? Exhaust gas recirculation valve

? Other emission control equipment

Engine Malfunction indicator lamp

DPF tampering

Fluid leaks – engine, transmission etc

Had a EGR fault on a 2.0 litre Citroen and was told to try a EGR cleaner.

(Wynn's Diesel EGR Valve Cleaner 150ml. Wynn's Diesel EGR Valve Cleaner is designed to help clean out your EGR valve. This cleaner will help remove carbon and tar-like deposits that restrict air flow and cause the EGR valve to stick.)

At £8 I had nothing to lose so bought a can and followed the instructions to add via air intake. The engine rattled like bricks in a dustbin and the exhaust smelt really toxic. After I finished the fault light had gone and it drove perfectly, going up our hill in 4th where we had to keep changing between 2nd & 3rd before.

I will soon be getting another can for our 2.2hdi MH just to have a clean out.

There’s a longish piece on EGR-valve cleaning here

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/EGR-Valve-Cleaning-Procedure-Step-by-Step

If you are lucky and the valve is not too dirty, spraying a cleaner into the motor when it’s running may fix the fault - and this is similarly the case with a sticking variable-geometry turbocharger. But in both instances the fix may only be temporary, particularly if the motor is known to be vulnerable to EGR-valve or turbo clogging, and reapplication of the cleaner may be required at regular intervals.

EGR problems are often addressed by fitting a blanking plate that disables the valve’s function (example here)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142743785048

This slightly odd YouTube video mentions doing this

but is more useful for showing the difference between an EGR-valve before and after manually cleaning it.

steveandlisa - 2019-05-29 10:33 PM

Well she`s back from the garage now,

Garage checked fault codes and they all pointed to an EGR fault. I mean what is really the point of fitting these things that can cause the engine to burn more fuel and oil when they go wrong and create more pollution in their doing so, and then take into consideration the expense, materials, power and pollution to actually make these things against what they actually save in exhaust emissions.

Thing is, its only old duffers dithering about in motorhomes who have problems with the EGR valve. ;-) Whitevanman has never even heard of the EGR valve because his style of driving keeps it working and freed up. :-S

Archived