Touring Scotlands Coast

stevec176

Going to tour Scotland, up the west coast to Skye and then around the top following the NC500 route ending up at Snowdon but there doesnt appear to be many camp sites and we havent wild camped before, can anyone recommend sites around the coast route please.

Is there a Snowdon in Scotland?

We did a similar route in 2017 starting at Culzean Castle C&CC site, then to Loch Lomond, onto Bunree, then onto Skye, back on mainland to InvereweGardens. Then to Sango Sands, onto Dunnet Bay, to Brora, to Rosemarkie and then down through centre making our way home . Only non-club site was Sango Sands. Fabulous trip. We went late April to Mid-May to avoid midge season.

Bunree (club site) at Onich, south of Fort William. If you are in this area I would cross to Mull (lots of small o/night sites here), and go to Iona. It's magical there.

Reraig, (private), at Balmacara, about 2 miles east of Kyle of Lochalsh.

Broomfield Holiday Park at Ullapool

There is a site at John O'Groats which we used and is quite good, but pricy. We took a day trip to Orkney on a passenger ferry. It was good fun.

Grantown on Spey Caravan Park. Nice walking in the area.

Have fun!

The area has got a lot busier since the NC500 so probably be wise to book sites ahead which rather takes the spontaneity out of motor homing. Check out the 2 clubs 5 van sites, not many of them though. Skye has a couple and a CCC site. There are also sites at Dunvegan and Uig and an eco one near the ferry terminal at Armadale. North of Inverewe, there is a wild camping spot at Firestorm beach, £4 a night in an honesty box, no facilities. We prefer Glen Nevis site at the bottom of Ben Nevis to the CMC one at Bunree for visiting Fort William. Not sure why you are ending up at Ben Nevis as you will be passing through Fort William on the way to Skye, unless you take the ferry from Glen Elg, an experience but not if you have a large MH, the road to it and on the Skye side is single track, steep and twisty.

There’s a new campsite in Broadford on Skye opened last season. Organised and run by

https://campingskye.com/

I REALLY recommend that you don’t take your van over the small turntable ferry at Glenelg. It only takes 5 ordinary cars at most, and the road on the Skye side is single track, very steep. It has also become very busy owing to NC500 with queuing at either side. It is undeniably scenic, but I wouldn’t take my smallish van over, and I live on Skye and know the roads.

Guest pelmetman
stevec176 - 2019-03-22 6:07 PM

Going to tour Scotland, up the west coast to Skye and then around the top following the NC500 route ending up at Snowdon but there doesnt appear to be many camp sites and we havent wild camped before, can anyone recommend sites around the coast route please.

Good luck with that ;-) ........

We've tried umpteen times over the past nearly 30 years to tour Scotland 8-) ......

On the odd occasion we weren't driven back by midge bites.......We had a pond in our awning 8-) ........

So I assumed they drowned :D .........

BTW......Don't make the same mistake I did......... midges can get through fly screens >:-( .......

Hi we have been around parts of NC500 relatively recently.

we went from Dingwall, ccc site, up to John o groats, campsite, then across the top, wild campsite near bird cliff, , several other wild camp locations, and one or 2 proper campsites, . And at crossing to Skye, there is a nice commercial site nearby. On skye itself there was a commercial site near old man of stour rock climbing place.. , and a couple of others, plus several places suitable for wild camping.

we used the commercial sites to refill water , empty waste etc, so basicallyevery 3rd night and. Otherwise freebie wild camp sites.plenty of options.

On arrival eventually back at Dingwall, I succumbed to a gremlin, then enjoyed the hospitality of the inverness hilton for a few days..(that is what they call the local hospital ....)

Tonyg3nwl

ps not a midgie in sight.

tonyg3nwl

Archived