Touring Wales in a Eldiss 115

keen canary

I hope that this is an appropriate posting on Motorhome Matters but my thoughts have already turned to next spring and an approx 3 week tour of mainly coastal areas in Wales.

I was wondering if anyone who has done this fairly recently would care to share their experience in a posting and maybe some pointers and hidden gems they may have uncovered.

My early plan so far as we live in Norfolk is to drive the MH to the Cotswolds, stay a few nights there then head into southern Wales and follow loosely the coast all the way round to the north and then take a stop in Derbyshire before heading home.

I have picked out St Davids, am unsure about Barmouth and would like to stop over in Angelsey.

We will be taking our two small dogs so some venues/beaches might be out of bounds for us

Any suggestions. ?????

Kind regards

Keen Canary

Our last tour of Wales was in 2017. We did six nights on Anglesey. Nice countryside for walking and presumably cycling. Plas Newydd House on the Menai Straights is worth visiting. Holyhead is OK if you want to sit and watch the ferry arrive or depart. We failed to find any parking in Bangor. There wasn't enough to do on Anglesey so we spent a few days in Snowdonia and the Conway Valley - the A470 is a great drive. The Lleyn Peninisular is pretty. The Red Arrows were training at RAF Valley on Anglesey when we were there.

We then went down to Cardigan Bay for 7 nights. Beautiful coast and the stunning Cambrian Mountains inland. Bwlch Nant Yr Arian Visitor Centre is where they feed the Red Kites; the flying display is worth watching if you have binoculars. Aberystwyth should be avoided! From our site, we took drives down to southern Wales including Milford Haven [oil tankers], Pembroke and Tenby.

We finished up at Brecon for 6 nights. There is a small Cathedral that's worth a look. Brecon's well placed for driving numerous scenic roads including the A4068/69 over the Black Mountains.

If you search for best roads in Wales, you'll get some cracking roads.

I prefer Derbyshire's dramatic Dark Peak to the greener White Peak. Ignore the east of my home county. I prefer the quieter Herefordshire to the upper crust Cotswolds. Adam Henson's rare breed farm [he of Countryfile fame] is interesting if you like rare breeds and is great for children. The Hay Festival in late May is a good day out.

Stayed at Penhros CMC. Below average for a CMC site but still as pricey even for members. It getting mixed reviews this year because it needs a major upgrade. It might not be the most up to date but it is comfortable. It was impossible to find a motorhome parking space in the local supermarkets, even Bangor. We went to Tesco at Holyhead [car parking only] and parked in the empty B&M car park. Can't recommend the site but if we were staying on Anglesey next year, we'd probably go there again.

Cae Mawr Caravan Club Site on Anglesey gets good reviews but it does not have a toilet/shower block. Might as well save a few pounds and look for a CL if you re a member.

Tend to agree with the nothern and central sites Brock mentioned. If you like Blackpool you may appreciate some aspects of Barry but its urban as is much of the south east Wales coast. The Gower and Tenby areas are obvious beauty spots and well served with campsites.

I applaud your choice of St Davids. The coastline around the St Davids peninsula is stunning - in my opinion just about the best in Europe particularly to the north of Whitesands Bay where the wildlife and flora is both stunning and varied. Furthermore, contrary to what Boris implies this are is surprisingly relatively dry - but that is from someone used to the shadows of the Brecon Beacons - 2m of rainn a year. You can walk the legs off the dogs on the coastal tracks in this area and as for campsites you are spoilt for choice - be it in the town or on the coast.

St Davids and Pembroke coast are pleasant enough but all the best bits are in the North. If you travel up the coast small coastal villages like New Quay are worth a look. You could travel up via Barmouth estuary and Barmouth is ok around the harbor. Further on is shell island and Harlech with its castle. Miss out the LLyn peninsular and head for Beddgelert, nice campsite here a few minutes walk from the village. From here you can do a tour of Snowdon, fantastic mountain scenery. Visit Llanberris with it slate museum, free of charge, walk up Snowdon or take the train, Visit the underground power station. From Porthmadog The Ffestiniog railway runs. Ffestiniog slate mine is well worth a visit with loads of things to see and do. From Beddgelert you can drive over Pen y Pass and look in at the Pen y Gwrydd hotel from where the successful Everest expedition was conceived, they have an Everest room. Beautiful drive this with great views of Snowdon itself. There is really a lot in this area and if you like seaside towns the old Victorian resort of Llandudno is a delight.

Archived