Tow bar mounted cycle carriers

rooster63

Am looking into getting a cycle carrier suitable for a tow bar to replace the existing Fiama rack bolted to the van doors as not sure the doors are strong enough to support the weight of electric bikes. (future purchase)

Would ideally like a carrier that enables the rear doors of my Citroen Relay van to be opened without having to remove the carrier and/or bikes. Have looked at Altera DL2 but neither the UK dealer or the manufacturers can confirm that the carrier would enable to the doors to be opened (they think it will!)

Any suggestions for a suitable carrier?

Hello,

I use an Atera STRADA DL 3 bike carrier (UK lights) no. AR2603 on my 2018 Ducato.

You need to use the two rearmost bike positions and centre the rack carefully for the rear doors to open fully.

The rack capacity is more than enough for electric bikes. I load two full spec, big wheel, electric mountain bikes on mine without a problem.

It's not as convenient as the swing out systems but it's about half the price and half the weight.

The DL2 does not have sufficient clearance.

There are several clips on YouTube showing the bike rack in action.

Hope this helps,

Peter

Hi.

I originally purchased my altera Bile carrier some years ago for use on my estate car with ordinary mountain bikes. On that car it gave clearance.

Last year I changed Moho and did not want another rear door hung bike rack because we now have e bikes and the weight is too great.

I looked at the bus biker and other similar bike racks but was concerned about the weight penalty. Eventually opted for towbar and use my altera rack.

On my panel van the rack does NOT give sufficient space ( although they almost do) to fully open doors but does give me sufficient space to access the gas bottles to switch off/on: also I can access boxes just inside the door.

We have a rear bed layout and can access under the bed from inside the van so, for me, it’s not an issue.

Hope that helps

Peter

Another option, the one I chose, is to build your own. For various reasons I was not 100% happy with any of the bike racks that are available to purchase.

My rack is best described as a cross between Busbiker and Van-swing, it is compact, keeping overall length of our XLWB van below 7m with two bikes on board, and when not carrying bikes the towbar can be used.

We were looking at going down this route with our Wildax Constellation 3 but having investigated the Tow bar and the carrier plus the weight of the bikes it would compromise the weight of the van, so have decided against this method. We have 2 folding E bikes so they will now be carried in the van strapped behind the passenger seat.

Archived