Towing a box van

Paul_S

I have just bought a 10x5 box van, to tow behind my ~7.5m Elddis MH. The idea is to tow my Harley in it, to use once parked up on site.

Fairly new to MH'ing tbh, so what will I expect to encounter towing the box van..in relation to the sites.

Am I going to be able to leave it connected at most sites, or is it going to have to be disconnected and wheeled alongside.

Is that type of rig even accessible/allowed at most sites?

Thoughts please.

Think of it as the 'opposite' of a car and caravan. How many sites can you keep the car and caravan hitched (or even still in line) when on your pitch? I can only think of one site we have ever used that has long enough pitches so you will almost certainly have to decouple. And some sites may require the trailer to be parked in a car park and not on your pitch, may be worth asking the site when you book what is allowed.

Have you thought of fitting a motor mover to your trailer to allow you to move it on site when loaded? I have seen this done many times on car trailers.

Keith.

Keithl - 2021-03-03 10:03 AM

Think of it as the 'opposite' of a car and caravan. How many sites can you keep the car and caravan hitched (or even still in line) when on your pitch? I can only think of one site we have ever used that has long enough pitches so you will almost certainly have to decouple. And some sites may require the trailer to be parked in a car park and not on your pitch, may be worth asking the site when you book what is allowed.

Have you thought of fitting a motor mover to your trailer to allow you to move it on site when loaded? I have seen this done many times on car trailers.

Keith.

Yes was thinking about a mover....The trailer is not that heavy to move tbh, just perhaps a little beyond a single person on anything less than empty and on level tarmac, and has a very light tongue weight, so that would probably rule out a motorised jockey wheel.

We towed a 9 x 5 box trailer from the UK to our cottage inFrance many times with our Elddis Aspire 255, fairly well loaded towed fine, used to stay overnight on the way down and back, found the smaller out of the way aires fine,but some of the busier ones could not get in as taking up two spaces didn’t seem to go down well, to be fair I can see the point. But have also seen many times in various countries motorhomes with car and trailer taking up three spaces and just ignoring any comments. May be how thick skinned you are. Still have the towbar and dedicated electrics if you haven’t already got one. It’s off a 2012 Elddis on the Peugeot Boxer chassis.

We towed an Ifor williams 8x5 box trailer behind the van for several years with my Suzuki Vstrom in it. It was great on site to use as a garage/storage and kept the bike clean and dry whilst travelling.......

But it was heavy and difficult to move around on site, now we just tow a 300cc Scooter in an open Ifor Williams trailer. It's much lighter, you don't know it's there and easier to move round on site. Yes it gets dirty towed behind the van on wet days but hey, it's only a scooter ! The scooter is better for days out, more storage and better weather protection with a big screen etc......

But obviously it's not a proper bike. I keep a 750 Honda at home for "proper" biking now....

I also bought a scooter but a 200cc (165kg) of a design so I can store both lids,gloves,trousers and jackets in the bike when we go out. Tow on a small trailer and can load and unload on my own. Some councils have decent Park and Ride parking some even with MH spaces but others fine you if you don't fit in a bay. Remember that a lot of councils have let their parking out to third party companies as well. Most places in town let you park for free or provide free parking spaces for bikes.

I must admit I haven't broadcast to my biker mates that I have a scooter not the done thing.

Morning, I've been towing my 7x5 box trailer for about 5 years now and you will find with a little practice it's very easy to back it up to pretty much where you want it to be. You may need to just straighten up by hand but I'm sure you could easily easily do that.

If you've got a reversing camera and can see the trailer the main thing to remember when reversing (I assume it's two wheeled) make small adjustments ie when you see trailer start to turn begin to steer on the opposite lock to prevent a jack-knife. After a little practice you'll be able to put it just where you want.

Good luck.

Archived