Transporting dog in motorhome

Tezza123

Taking our border collie across the channel in the train at end of March. What is the procedure at Folkestone. He is secured to a seatbelt bracket with a harness inside the van.

Also paid £265 for an animal health certificate, our vet mentioned that may be cheaper to get a pet passport abroad. Finally have to get our dog checked out before we return to the uk,, have noticed a 24 hour vet in Calais, how long in advance do you need to book this. We are away for 2 months do I already need to book an appointment for our return date.

Hi

No idea if there is any bureaucracy at the UK end, there wasn’t with the old passport system.

On the return journey the system looks much the same as before, you can have pet vetted and paperwork done between 5 and 1 day prior to return. We usually have our dogs vetted about 2 or 3 days drive from the port.

Quite often I look for a vet near where we staying, either Google or local tourist office. Both have worked in the past.

Travel in Moho no problem, harness clipped to strong point, we have rear seat belts which give an ideal point. We release dogs in the train and give them a chew..

I asked our vet and they charge £150 for the health cert and half price for second dog ( we have two labs) so it’s not cheap. Hoping to go September.

Have a great trip.

Peter

When you get to Folkestone you get directed to the main terminal building where you wait for your train to be called. At the front of the builing you'll see the signs for Pet Reception. Go there and take all your documents: the dogs AHIC (or EU Passport) your passports, and your ticket for the crossing. When we checked in 5 weeks ago they wanted to see everything. It's a fairly simple process and when we did it quite quick because no one else was waiting.

On the return you need to get your dog checked by a vet within 5 days of your check-in time at Calais. We've found that we as we're travelling back to the UK through France we can usually stop somewhere close to our overnight stop where there's a vet. We usually do this on spec, e.g.call in late afternoon and see if they'll see him (the dog) there and then or the next morning. Or you can try rininging one, but we've found they don't always speak English. Depends how good your French is. Generally the vets are very willing to accommodate you and your dog as it's easy money for them.

Hope that helps.

Also I should have said the vet needs to see the dog within 5 days of your departure (that's 5 x 24 hour periods) but you need to see the vet at least 24 hours before you depart in order for the meds to take effect. Otherwise you won't be allowed back in the country. So time your crossing accordingly, if seeing the vet the day before.

• 1 month later...

Archived