Travel Europe with parrot

Rossi fan

Hi all. New to site so would like to say thanks for accepting us. I would like to ask this question, I have asked on many sites & yes I have been in touch with DEFRA . Does anyone on here travel Europe with a parrot in their motorhome or have knowledge in doing it. We would appreciate any advice please. Regards

As I stated in the Link that Derek gave.

Have seen parrots in Spain One was owned by a british couple who lived in Spain, so I guess no problem with re -entry. This year a German/Dutch, can't remember which , had one in caravan.

I Guess the problem could occur on leaving/reentering UK?

Do parrots have to be quarantined? Perhaps ask ferry or tunnel people about it?

May be better to get someone to look after it, while away? Not sure about campsites either, though the ones we have seen have been in Calpe!

PJay

BY the way. Welcome to the forum

Hi. It's correct that you need to do nothing on re-election entry to UK. If you are based in Europe you do not have to do anything to come into UK. But leaving UK we have been advised you treat it as export & import of your parrot. Just trying to find someone who has or is carrying a parrot to Europe. Regards

Hi. Thanks for that. Yeah the lady asking the same question on that site got the same info as we ended up with. The law has changed a little since then (2014) . Now you have to get a DEFRA approved vet to get a minimum of 24hr faeces from the bird , then send it to DEFRA in Carlisle for tests. If it passes the vet can then sign a cert to travel. You then have 15 days to travel to your country of destination. We also heard from cites saying as long as bird is ringed , chipped and registered it was ok. Then we heard off the lady who was told by DEFRA on the phone you didn't need anything if it is a caged pet bird. Hence the confusion. Wish we could find someone who actually does it lol. Regards.

Hi. We are on many forum's. Seems we all know someone who met someone who does it but no-one does it lol. We spoke to some one who took a bird over without being certified and when they tried to come back they got stopped and because they couldn't produce the original travel cert the bird got quarantined. So it looks like more DEFRA contact. Thanks anyway guys n gals. Regards

Rossi fan - 2018-10-15 6:43 PM

Hi. Thanks for that. Yeah the lady asking the same question on that site got the same info as we ended up with. The law has changed a little since then (2014) . Now you have to get a DEFRA approved vet to get a minimum of 24hr faeces from the bird , then send it to DEFRA in Carlisle for tests. If it passes the vet can then sign a cert to travel. You then have 15 days to travel to your country of destination. We also heard from cites saying as long as bird is ringed , chipped and registered it was ok. Then we heard off the lady who was told by DEFRA on the phone you didn't need anything if it is a caged pet bird. Hence the confusion. Wish we could find someone who actually does it lol. Regards.

Cant see all the Birds migrating across Europe bothering to take a detour via Carlisle to leave a deposit.

Could be quite a spectacle if they did.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-10-15 8:03 PM

Perhaps nobody does it nowadays using a motorhome...

You might try asking on the Motorhomefacts and/or Motorhomefun forums that have larger user populations.

There is a chap on fun called Jezport who travels with a parrot.

Archived