Travel to and in Greece

Guest Colin Robinson

Guest Colin Robinson
We are planning travelling to Greece in April 2006 using the ferry from Ancona in Italy. Does anyone have experience of this ferry? The roads in Greece seem quite tortuous on the map! We have a 25' van! What is is like travelling to the villages that have parking facilities? Is it OK for both transit and parking, or will there be a length/width problem? I know that this is a bit vague, but if anyone does have Greece experience, I can be much more specific in the locations that I am looking at. Our Caravan Club book lists only about 100 sites in Greece, but I believe that there are more than 300 there. Does anyone know of a Greece camping book with English translations that would be of help?

Guest Will Redfearn,Wirral Motorhome Club
We've done this trip when Superfast ferries allowed 'camp onboard'. We arrived at Patras and our intention was to tour the Peloponnese. 14 miles from Patras is Camping Golden Sunset a good starting point 2 night stay to fine tune our plan. We then went to Olympia, wild camping a possibility. Onward to Limini bay were we wild camped next to a taverna for a few days. The famous theatre at Epidavrous will permit wild camping. A lot of these locations doe have at least access to a water tap. We also stayed at Sparta and Naplion, very like the port at Venice. The roads were no worse than those in Scotland or Wales. The Caravan Club used to supply to members a free guide to caravanning in Greece and Turkey,for just an sae. This was compiled by a member who travelled there every year. His name was Roy Barker and was local to me, hes sadly died about 8 years ago. The club may have some copies left.

Guest Alan and Lynn Parkin
Hi Colin I picked up your query on my "Sicily" query - I am sure we can swop info on our respective trips. Please email me on lynn.parkin@tesco.net Regards

Guest Mike Wittamore
Hello Colin We did this trip in a 25foot Kontiki in 2002. We spent the summer of 2001 sailing round the coast of the Peloponnese so may be able to help. My e-mail is mike_wittamore@hotmail.com

Archived