Traveling to Greece

Guest Royston Gallagher

Guest Royston Gallagher
My family and i are looking to take our motorhome to Grece this September. Does anyone know if we are better of driving or catching a ferry from Italy and if so wich ferry port do you recomend or wich route to Greece would you recomend.ie Slovenia croatia Bosnia are they safe yet ? Royston

Guest Brian
WE have just returned from Corfu, while where we there we did make some investigations into going there in our motorhome. We were advised that the best route to take is from Calais through to Venice by road and then by ferry onto Greece. You can actually camp on board the ferry, saving the cost of a cabin, use of the ships facilities and an electric hook up are provided free of charge. Minoan Lines ferries take just over 24 hours to get from Venice to Corfu and then travel on to the port of Patras on the greek mainland. We were advised not to travel through Albania by road. Hope this is of help to you. Perhaps you can post details of your trip when you return, we are going to do it next year and any further information would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Will Redfearn, Wirral Motorhome Club
The Caravan Club did have available for free,my favourite word, a booklet compiled by a member, it was available by sending an sae. The chap who wrote it sadly died some years ago. I think it was called Caravanning through Turkey and Greece. We went from Ancona on Superfast with the 'camp aboard' facility. Now the line is owned by Blue Star, a british company, so nanny prevails no camp aboard now. Camping Golden Sunset about 14 mile from Patras is recommended.

Guest Royston Gallagher
Thank you Brian. Minoen lines have quoted 545 euros return from Venice to Patras. We are just looking at the best way to Venice ie tolls France, Switzerland Italy or Belgium Germany Italy. I have been told that some Swiss tunnels will not allow campers and those that do are very expensive toll wise.

Archived