Travelling though Europe to Turkey

Karl Roberts

Hi everyone we shall be travelling though Europe to Turkey starting mid March 2020. Has anyone done this? We have considered doing the return journey using ferries and seeing some of Greece then Ferry into Italy.

A friend mentioned that there had been an article with regard to this sort of trip can anybody remember that and if so which issue of the magazine it was it.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Karl.

Any arrangements made are subject to Brexit negotiations, as no deal would mean all bets are off concerning visas, insurance, driving licence etc..

https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-brexit

What is not clear is what visa, if any, you may require to re enter the eu from Turkey. Especially as the country is at war and faces sanctions from the eu and US. ( although interestingly the UK is demurring to protect its arms sales)

I live somewhere in the middle of your route so I haven't done it in one trip but I have been all over Europe, including Greece and Turkey. Not sure exactly what you'd like to know? Truckers drive this route daily, you can stay on the motorways all the way from Calais to Istanbul and beyond, not really much to it. As you're crossing so many countries and covering a lot of distance there's little point listing specific things to see worthy of detours. There's just too much.

Thanks for the info.

A just to put you straight in one thing Turkey are not at war mearly dealing with the Isis, Daes and Deas Islamic fundamentalists with Syria which have been attacking villages and people with the Turkish boarder area. Taking over from where the USA left off when they pulled out.

Thanks.

Curiously, the ISIS/Daesh seem to be happy about this Turkish invasion as they're letting them walk away from prison camps. I think Kurds might have a slightly different view on the whole "peace" operation. Although I guess much depends on whether you consider them terrorists or not.

Curiosity is not as good a facts and the prisoners have been let out by the Kurdish rebels when the US left. The none fundamental Kurds are working with the Turkish forces to capture the rebels. Of course I'm here in turkey seeing there news and presumably you might be in the UK seeing the point of view from the BBC and CNN which as Donald would say fake news stations hahaha.

The OP baffles a little: 1st post travelling UK / Turkey in March: 3rd post he states he is in Turkey.

Am I missing something? What motorhome /van do you have?

WE have visited and enjoyed SE Turkey and enjoyed Diyarbakir and the area round that before travelling up to lake Van. Before that we visited places like Haran few km from the border. Lovely people -bought some Syrian wine.

OK it was 5 years ago but Turkey is a lovely place with great folk to visit but along with so many countries today there are issues which we in Brexit obsessed Britain miss. But this is not the place to debate the real and serious issues.

Interested to know more of the OP: -his profile gives a postcode that googling leads to an Anne Summers shop. I remain intrigued!

ian81 - 2019-10-17 8:10 AM

The OP baffles a little: 1st post travelling UK / Turkey in March: 3rd post he states he is in Turkey.

Yeah UK to Turkey in 27 hours. Road distance 2,691 miles so 99mph non-stop. Maybe it's a time machine. (lol)

Bulletguy - 2019-10-17 11:52 PM

Yeah UK to Turkey in 27 hours. Road distance 2,691 miles so 99mph non-stop. Maybe it's a time machine. (lol)

Or maybe he lives in Turkey and is planing in the future to import a motorhome?

Nicepix - 2019-10-24 7:52 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-10-17 11:52 PM

Or maybe he lives in Turkey and is planing in the future to import a motorhome?

Or maybe he’s on holiday in Turkey without a m/h, and fancies going back with a van? Simples

Archived