Travelling to France, stumped by a simple question

costaexpress

I am booked on the Eurotunnel next weekend and I need to upload my Declaration of Honour to the web site, no problem with that, my question is when? How far in advance of travel can I upload it? Technically I can do it this morning, however, with a week to go before travel how much worth is a declaration signed today whilst at the same time Eurotunnel allow me to upload it from the moment the booking was complete (yesterday). Anyone any experience of this? Much appreciated

It's plain from the format of the 'sworn statement' that its date of signing should coincide with the date that travelling to France takes place.

Can't.the date put on the form just be 'post dated' to reflect when travel will take place, rather than be the date that the form is loaded into the Eurotunnel system?

Charles - 2021-09-25 11:57 AM

I did ours a couple of days after I booked so was about 13 days before we travelled.

Thanks, can I ask did you date it the day you submitted it or post date it for the date you were travelling. I am quite interested in getting the paperwork out the way as i have a busy period leading up to travelling and bound to forget something

slowdriver - 2021-09-25 12:58 PM

We have made two trips now. Both via the tunnel. In both instances I signed, dated and uploaded the form the day prior to travel.

Thanks, I assumed that this was the correct procedure, however, when I noticed Eurotunnel was giving me the option to enter it now it seemed a good way of getting the paperwork out of the way

Derek Uzzell - 2021-09-25 12:15 PM

It's plain from the format of the 'sworn statement' that its date of signing should coincide with the date that travelling to France takes place.

Can't.the date put on the form just be 'post dated' to reflect when travel will take place, rather than be the date that the form is loaded into the Eurotunnel system?

Guess your asking the same question as me

costaexpress - 2021-09-25 2:14 PM

I did ours a couple of days after I booked so was about 13 days before we travelled.

Thanks, can I ask did you date it the day you submitted it or post date it for the date you were travelling. I am quite interested in getting the paperwork out the way as i have a busy period leading up to travelling and bound to forget something

I think I just dated it the day I did it. If you're double jabbed now you still are in 2 weeks. I didn't upload anything, just (I think) ticked a box or something similar to say we were vaccinated and then the site said to bring proof of vaccination with you. I then printed off 2 x A4 sheets from the NHS app with the Q code on them.

Then there was just the advanced passenger info to fill in and the website indicated everything was done.

This was about the 16th of August.

Having no knowledge of Eurotunnel’s procedures in this respect, I assume one takes a paper copy of the sworn statement, scans the completed result and uploads that file into the Eurotunnel system.

Plainly if one unloads the file (say) 2 weeks before travelling the statement’s ‘value’ disappears (as you said in your original posting). But it’s most unlikely that Eurotunnel’s system is set up to monitor/analyse the date a person puts on the statement and compare it with the date the person will be travelling.

I’m pretty sure that if, you put 2022 instead of 2021 on the statement, Eurotunnel’s system (or anybody else for that matter) wouldn’t care in the least, but it makes better sense to ‘post-date’ the form if you want to upload it now rather than just before you travel.

I think I just dated it the day I did it. If you're double jabbed now you still are in 2 weeks. I didn't upload anything, just (I think) ticked a box or something similar to say we were vaccinated and then the site said to bring proof of vaccination with you. I then printed off 2 x A4 sheets from the NHS app with the Q code on them.

Then there was just the advanced passenger info to fill in and the website indicated everything was done.

This was about the 16th of August.

The fact that you are double jabbed is irrelevant as far as the Declaration of Honour is concerned. It requires that you declare that:

I hereby declare on my honour that I have not had any of the following symptoms during the last 48 hours:

- Fever or chills;

- Cough or aggravation of my usual cough;

- Unusual fatigue;

- Unusual shortness of breath when I speak or make the slightest effort;

- Unusual muscle aches and/or pains;

- Unusual headaches;

- Loss of taste or smell;

- Unusual diarrhoea.

• I hereby declare on my honour that I have no knowledge of having been in contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 during the last fourteen days prior to departure.

So you cannot honestly print on paper, sign and present, or digitally upload this statement, until the day before you travel or the day you travel. I thought it reasonable given we were leaving home at 5:30 am to make an early morning crossing to sign and upload it is the night before. It takes about 5 minutes.

Double jabbing doesn't PREVENT you from having COVID, it reduces significantly: the chances of you getting it; the chances of transmitting it; the chances of serious symptoms, and the chances of dying. These reductions are sufficiently significant to reduce the risk to other people such that you are allowed to travel, to France and many other countries. You demonstrate this via presenting proof of vaccination via a print out of your UK NHS Vaccination record or via the NHS app, at the French Border control at Eurotunnel in Folkestone. The Declaration of Honour supplements the assurance provided to the people and government of France by your vaccination status, by providing a written and possible legally actionable declaration that you have not got any symptoms or knowingly been in contact with someone who is suffering from COVID.

'slowdriver', not sure how, however, I missed the bit about last 48 hours, obvious what to do now; thanks. Everything else dead easy ie passenger locator form (had to that last year when travelling back from Europe), 2 day PCR test code already in my possession etc. Reading actual experiences seems many are not even asked for the declaration of honour, however, sure I'm likely to be the one who breaks the rule so good to be prepared.

Archived