Travelling to Spain with electric bikes :

Stewart Hendry

We hope to go to Spain for 2 months with our electric bikes early in 2022 [value in excess of £ik each]. I've heard of a case where the authorities have charged duty based on the value of the bikes despite these being personal possessions which will be in the country for a limited time. Has any one got definite information on the situation which presumably may have arisen now we are out of the EU. An internet search hasn't helped so far. Regards Stewart

Don't know how relevant this old forum string is, https://tinyurl.com/yckves7j but it may give some clues as to potential problems, especially if the bikes are not pedelecs.

Best of all would probably by direct query to Spanish Embassy, preferably e-mail, so you get a written reply direct from the horse's mouth.

It seems the ages of the bikes may be relevant, so being able to prove their value, and when they were bought, may possibly be relevant.

If you can give a link to the origin of the case you mention it may shed more light on the circumstances - perhaps someone taking up residence, and not just visiting for a few weeks, so the importation would be permanent?.

Stewart Hendry - 2021-11-30 5:07 PM

We hope to go to Spain for 2 months with our electric bikes early in 2022 [value in excess of £ik each]. I've heard of a case where the authorities have charged duty based on the value of the bikes despite these being personal possessions which will be in the country for a limited time. Has any one got definite information on the situation which presumably may have arisen now we are out of the EU. An internet search hasn't helped so far. Regards Stewart

hi where did you here this information please

Had no problems with two electric bike on the back of our van going or staying in Spain back in December 2019 / March 2020. Taking them again in we hope just a few days. That is when we get to France after they have just today changed the rules about Covid testing and PCR test. >:-(

silverback - 2021-12-01 4:34 PM

its tosh, here say on facebook and scaremongering

jonathan 8-)

I don't know why you would think that? Carnets have long been required for taking what might be either samples or goods for sale across international borders. In the 1980's when attending a international canoeing event in Czechoslovakia we had to pay to temporary import our canoes and kayaks, on leaving the country they were checked back out and no duty had to be paid. We even had to bring back two pieces of one kayak to prove we hadn't sold it.

Do I think that customs officers will ask holiday makers if they are importing ebikes - in the main no, but if a couple have four new ebikes questions will be asked.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-05 3:44 PM

jonathan 8-)

I don't know why you would think that? Carnets have long been required for taking what might be either samples or goods for sale across international borders. In the 1980's when attending a international canoeing event in Czechoslovakia we had to pay to temporary import our canoes and kayaks, on leaving the country they were checked back out and no duty had to be paid. We even had to bring back two pieces of one kayak to prove we hadn't sold it.

Do I think that customs officers will ask holiday makers if they are importing ebikes - in the main no, but if a couple have four new ebikes questions will be asked.

I take it back then! I will apply for my Carnet first thing Monday morning for my e bikes

thanks for informing me

Jonathan

We take our e-bikes and have not had any problems. I would think as long as they comply with the countries road e-bike rules ie max motor power --250 watts, electric speed about 15 mph . no hand throttle in some countries, they should be ok. But then who is going to check them anyway. ?

Brian B.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all replies and apologies for not responding sooner. Replies went into a defunct EM account .

This situation was posted by a member of the Hymer Club International, late November who saw a posting on Simon Calders travel page (Guardian or Independent newspaper.) Question was motorhome arrived at Santander from Portsmouth. Van checked over by customs officers and the owner was charged over 400euros in duty for 3 electric bikes which would go back with them on return to UK. The staff muttered something about carnets.

Answer from Simon Calder - indicates this was not a fine, just the customs arrangements for good in excess of 430E which apply to non EU countries. You can avoid duty by paying for a customs carnet covering the temporary import of goods.

Cost of carnet is £300 plus from my own research.

I'm still confused but pleased to hear other travellers have not encountered problems. If all this is correct what about towing a car?

Stewart Hendry - 2021-12-16 11:31 AM

Thanks for all replies and apologies for not responding sooner. Replies went into a defunct EM account .

This situation was posted by a member of the Hymer Club International, late November who saw a posting on Simon Calders travel page (Guardian or Independent newspaper.) Question was motorhome arrived at Santander from Portsmouth. Van checked over by customs officers and the owner was charged over 400euros in duty for 3 electric bikes which would go back with them on return to UK. The staff muttered something about carnets.

Answer from Simon Calder - indicates this was not a fine, just the customs arrangements for good in excess of 430E which apply to non EU countries. You can avoid duty by paying for a customs carnet covering the temporary import of goods.

Cost of carnet is £300 plus from my own research.

I'm still confused but pleased to hear other travellers have not encountered problems. If all this is correct what about towing a car?

The reply given by Simon Calder specifically stated 'van' not motorhome.

silverback - 2021-12-05 10:54 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-05 3:44 PM

jonathan 8-)

I take it back then! I will apply for my Carnet first thing Monday morning for my e bikes

thanks for informing me

Jonathan

I didn't bother with a Carnet...and guess what nobody bothered about them, now having a beer in Benicassim, feel gutted for the people that can;t travel now due to the ban

Jonathan

Archived