Trikes

Pete-B

I've had a full car licence since the 1960s although I relinquished my C1 at age 70.

Just out of interest, If I was to get a motorbike trike to tow behind our motorhome would I be able to carry a pillion passenger on my licence?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Pete,

Looking at the Gov.uk website for driving licence categories https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories it looks like it depends on the weight of the trike...

Any motor trike less than 410kg (500kg laden) Category B1

From memory 'B1' was a 'Grandfather' category added when you passed your car test to obtain what is now called category 'B'. The start date of my 'B1' matches that of my 'B' as I passed my MotorCycle test '(Category A') a year later.

I would imagine if the Trike is over 410 kg it would require a full MotorCycle Category 'A' licence to carry pillion passengers and not have to display L plates. You may have to contact DVLA to confirm this.

Keith.

I took my bike test about 20 years ago.

I was going to ride a 125 for work on L plates but i was told to drive on L plates I would have to take the test every three years and couldn't carry passengers unless they held a full license, ironically, I had to take the and pass the theory test even though I held a full car licence for 40 years. lol

Pete

Archived