Truma Combi 4

Steve H

After a lot of years use without servicing mine started playing up. It would run for a few minutes then cut out. I decided to check for a blocked flue first of all. I disconnected the concentric inlet / exhaust hose at the output end and sucked through them with a vacuum cleaner. I was amazed at the amount of debris that came out. That cured the problem That is the only servicing it has had in 20 years.

Brian B.

As Brian has warned, the flue of a Truma combination air/water heater can become blocked. The usual culprits are insects (particularly spiders) and - if they are adventurous and find their way into the heater itself - curing the problem will be expensive.

Each of my three motorhomes has had a Truma ‘combi’ heater and, when the vehicle was going to be out of use for a while, I’ve always covered the heater’s flue-cowl to stop insect ingress.

As far as I’m aware Truma has never marketed a cover for ‘combi’ flue-cowls, though I think people have 3D-printed suitable covers. I use a very visible bright red plastic bowl (that I think once had a small Xmas pudding in it) that fits quite tightly over the flue-cowl (photo attached below).

cover.JPG.e4e94b00af57123ede5b36908ed98351.JPG

In Truma's home market (Germany), it is a mandatory requirement that gas systems on motorhomes ?and caravans are inspected and certified every two years.

I'm not sure how much attention is given to the actual working of any appliances, but "gas-tightness" is a major factor.

(It is a precondition of the equivalent of the MOT test, and I understand there may currently be some temporary suspension due to Covid)

Archived