Truma Customer Service : Germany

Robinhood

My general view of German customer service has, over the years, been that it is rather better than we experience in the UK.

I've had reason to consolidate that view yesterday.

We set off last week to have our Autumn tour around Europe, and by Friday we started to get a faint smell of gas in the 'van, and it was very noticeable in the gas locker. The normal suspect,of course, is a poor hose connection, but I checked them all (being refillable bottles, both connected to an auto changeover regulator, there were a good few), and I renewed the washers; no change.

The soapy water trick didn't reveal any problems, and finally, after 3 days of carefully turning off between brief use (and ensuring we had an electric hookup for the fridge) I worked my way round the back of the regulator, found the pressure relief valve, and tested it with soapy water. Bingo, a permanent, but slight escape. The valve is there as a safety item, is meant to work, if at all, only momentarily, and permanent leakage means a borked valve, or even worse, a diaphragm fault.

Both these are fatal for the regulator.

Now, these Tryna items aren't simple or cheap. The Duocontrol CS unit incorporates the regulator, the changeover system, and a crash sensor that cuts the supply over a certain G level, and allows you, should you wish, to use gas legally on the move.

Having diagnosed the issue, I contacted the Truma helpline in Germany (the German manufacturer - and remember I am in Germany currently), to confirm it was subject to warranty, being manufactured in 2018, and also that advice that one of their "service partners" could fully deal with it on that basis was correct. An 08:30 Monday conversation in English confirmed it, and I selected a caravan service company (Waas) near Kassel, some 50 miles away, but on our general route, to turn theory into practice.

I arrived at 10:40. From that point every conversation was in German, me contributing in schoolboy fashion. The manager came to look, sucked his teeth and disappeared. Some considerable time later he came back with an obviously used direct replacement. I am sure that he was going to do me a cost-effective favour, but we then established that I'd talked to Truma, and it would be a warranty job.

Slightly more harrassed, but with no complaint, he then went off to phone Truma, and obviously got the correct answer.

So, now the next problem; they have literally just (last few months) introduced a replacement model. Fine, but not the same footprint, and also not the same optional remote monitoring connection, which I have. The only new units they had were the latest type. A 20 minute job (even for me) was becoming more complicated.

They still did it though. The technician chose the neatest rather than the easiest way of resolving the different footprint; he added extra pipe rather than adding more/different mounting holes. Some furniture had to be unscrewed to add the different remote monitoring; I showed him where and put everything back together whilst he finished the gas work.

Finished up less than 2 hours after unheralded arrival; paperwork all done; best part of €400 billed to Truma (not me). I have a completely updated regulator and remote monitor; everything works perfectly with no smell of gas; and the only sign of any change is a slightly extended piece of pipework, and a tiny little bit of veneer lifted in the gas locker where a silcone seal had to be removed for the wire to the new remote.

I am impressed! (And TBH relieved - it has recovered our holiday!)

In my experience you have little chance of that sort of service in the UK. I thanked them effusively (and I've just sent an email as well), though I don't think they see it as that far away from normal.

I've had a number of similar positive experiences here in Germany, or with German suppliers.

Having lived there for many years and visiting or passing through most years I can confirm it has never changed.

However if you read the Germany MH forums they do produce the occasional lemon, in all price categories, and there is always a thread about poor service....but not 50% of posts as it is in the UK! *-) (lol)

Archived