Truma Hose rupture protection

Brock

On my Truma Dual Control system, the pigtail is due for replacement. The cost differential between a hose rupture protection pigtail and an ordinary pigtail is about £23. Apart from enabling me to use the gas when travelling, does the rupture protection pigtail have any benefits?

With the rupture protection pigtail, I find that I still have to go into the gas locker to press the green hose protection button on the pigtail. We haven't used gas when driving for some time. It's having to go into the locker to press the green button that mildly irritates me more than the £23!

If you turn off the gas at the bottle every time before you travel I can understand why you would need to press the green button on the Truma pigtail each time you turn the gas back on. But I would have thought that, if you don’t turn off the gas at the bottle before you travel, once you’ve turned the bottle on initially and pressed the pigtail’s green button, you should not have to do this again until you next turn the bottle off and back on.

The Truma rupture protection pigtail is part of the Type-Approved gas system that was installed in your Hymer when it was built in 2013. That system pernits you to legally run the gas heater (but not the fridge or cooking appliances) while driving your motorhome in the EU. Obviously, if you always turn off the gas-supply at source before driving, the rupture protection pigtail will have limited value, but if you don’t (and even if you don’t run the heater while driving) the pigtail will provide a potentially valuable safety-related function.

My Rapido has a Truma DuoControl CS regulator and came with a pair of Truma ‘green button’ ruputure protection pigtails. I normally don’t turn off my motorhome’s gas bottles before driving (though I don’t run the gas heater while travelling) so the pigtails were potentially valuable. However, the Truma pigtails have bulky inlet fittings and this and the Rapido’s gas-locker’s odd shape inhibited how I wanted to install the gas bottles. Consequently I removed the Truma hoses and replaced them with stainless-steel hoses that do not have rupture protection.

If you’ve got the gas-bottle turned on and a leak develops between the bottle and regulator, the Truma rupture protection pigtail should guard against such an occurrence (It’s purpose is in the name.) If you fit a different pigtail without the anti-rupture feature, that protection will be missing. As far as I can see this really comes down to “Please yourself”.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-08-16 9:08 AM

If you turn off the gas at the bottle every time before you travel I can understand why you would need to press the green button on the Truma pigtail each time you turn the gas back on. But I would have thought that, if you don’t turn off the gas at the bottle before you travel, once you’ve turned the bottle on initially and pressed the pigtail’s green button, you should not have to do this again until you next turn the bottle off and back on.

As this, the green button should only need pressing if the gas has been turned off at bottle.

Archived