Truma Ultrastore no power at the switch

DAZID1

Hi all,

Last weekend the water heater worked well for a couple of days then suddenly no power at the switch. Electric works ok but not on gas, usually you turn the grey bezel to light on gas, green LED if all is well, red LED if it fails to light.

At the same time the auto spark on the gas cooker stopped working, this made me think fuse.

I have checked all the fuses ( Sargent EC325) ALL OK.

After much searching I have found a diagram that shows a yellow and green wire coming out of the Sargent panel that goes to both the cooker and water heater. I have used the multi meter and I have no feed out of the Sargent. I recon that it will perhaps need sending to Sargent for a repair or have I missed something.

Any thoughts?

2007 Autotrail Mohican.

Since fuse 11 in the EC325 protects this ignition circuit (boiler and cooker) a careful re-check of the fuse seems in order.

As you have a multimeter, take the fuse out and test for continuity, and whatever the result, a substitute 5A fuse would be a good idea.

I have checked them for continuity and also across them for voltage drop, they are all ok, strangely none are marked as cooker or water heater, on the EM50 unit there is one marked water heater, 20 amp that too is ok, 20 amp seems quite high to me, the wiring diagram doesn't show the em 50 as being in the curcuit.

Can you measure the voltage at one end of fuse 11 with the meters black lead connected to a 12 volt negative.. If it is circa 12 volts then the issue lies after the fuse. If zero then the fault lies within the EC325.

Out of curiosity what is your leisure battery voltage?

Keith.

DAZID1 - 2020-08-14 8:41 PM

I have checked them for continuity and also across them for voltage drop, they are all ok, strangely none are marked as cooker or water heater...

I agree with RH, fuse 11 is 'Ignitions Supply (Heaters / Cooker)'

https://sargentltd.co.uk/tech-support/article/22/download/223

DAZID1 - 2020-08-14 8:06 PM

After much searching I have found a diagram that shows a yellow and green wire coming out of the Sargent panel that goes to both the cooker and water heater.

Here is the official Sargent electrical drawing...

https://sargentltd.co.uk/tech-support/article/26/download/300

Keith.

Gents,

I couldn't wait till tomorrow just been out and changed the 5 amp fuse no 11, as you said Ignition, put new fuse in and all is good again. The fuse checked out I am sure it did, I feel an idiot now. Looking at it, its a very different structure to all the others and its like am off beige colour.

Thank you so much for your help.

Daz

DAZID1 - 2020-08-14 9:30 PM

Gents,https://sargentltd.co.uk/shop/product/fuse-pack/252

I couldn't wait till tomorrow just been out and changed the 5 amp fuse no 11, as you said Ignition, put new fuse in and all is good again. The fuse checked out I am sure it did, I feel an idiot now. Looking at it, its a very different structure to all the others and its like am off beige colour.

Thank you so much for your help.

Daz

A listing of the 12V fuses of a Sargent EC325 is attached below, plus an image of the fuse banks themselves.

12V blade fuses do vary in design, but I’m surprised that the 5A fuse for the “Ignition Supply (Heaters/Cooker)” should differ significantly from the other fuses, and I’d certainly expect it to be the same as the 5A Fuse 3 (Permanent Supply (Radio/Frridge)”.

I notice that Sargent markets a ‘Fuse Pack’ of 18 fuses suitable for its Power Supply Units.

https://sargentltd.co.uk/shop/product/fuse-pack/252

(It’s perhaps worth highlighting that there are some really cheap and nasty 12V fuses out there, so if a fuse looks poor quality it is...)

list.png.925be795957816c5d2af388c265e579d.png

fuses.png.567cf1229bb097638f668a2bed82b887.png

DAZID1 - 2020-08-14 9:30 PM

.....The fuse checked out I am sure it did, I feel an idiot now. Looking at it, its a very different structure to all the others and its like am off beige colour.....

Daz

Glad you got a result. Maybe it's just my suspicious nature, but (if you haven't owned the vehicle from new) the difference in fuse would make me wonder if it had been replaced previously. (I have> seen vehicles with noticeably different fuses supplied from the factory - or at least the dealer - but I'd think it rare).

I'd keep a spare 5A fuse or two in the 'van (I always keep a range of values).

The Ultrastore instructions recommend fusing the 12V circuit at 5-10A, so maybe having the cooker on the same fuse is getting marginal at 5A. I can't see a spark generator for the cooker needing much of a draw, but maybe the cooker is one of those where the oven is fan-cooled off the 12V supply.

Anyway, without knowing the wiring gauge used, I wouldn't recommend increasing the fuse size from 5A - just make sure you have a spare!

Archived