Truma boiler C603

Precious

Hope you clever people can help. My lovely Hymer B654 has a problem with the boiler. As the water heats up it just spits air out of the tap, it clears after a few minutes. No problem when it`s cold. No leaks so water presumably returning to tank. Same with gas or electric. Thanks for any help.

Do you drain your water tank between trips? And do you then refill the boiler (by running the hot water until spluttering and air becomes continuous water? If you fail to refill the boiler you certainly will get air and spluttering if you turn the boiler on and afterwards draw water.

The non-return valve that (probably) will be on, or near, the submersible water-pump in the fresh-water-tank may not be functioning properly and (as you suggest) water is siphoning back into the fresh-water tank and air is being drawn into the heater through the 'ventilation valve’ that’s fitted to the hot-water outlet that’s towards the top of the heater. (Photo of valve attached).

Alternatively, there may be a problem with the ventilation valve itself - but the non-return valve hypothesis seems more plausible.

(Are you certain there are no water leaks?)

1050681392_ventilationvalve.jpg.34e6887f9e04eaa0bb046857b16c1419.jpg

In the photo the red hose connected to the ventilation valve goes on to feed hot water to the hot-water taps.

The clear hose connected to the valve is there to allow air to enter the boiler when the boiler drains. This hose should lead through the motorhome’s floor to the outside air.

You haven’t said how old your motorhome is, but it’s bound to have some age.

It’s to be expected that the inside of the clear pipe leading from the ventilation valve will get mucky over time, and the plastic these valves are made of can become brittle.

Unless there is a very good reason to think the valve is the culprit, I suggest you don’t fiddle with it. At present the ‘air’ problem is a nuisance - but if the ventilation valve becomes damaged, the complete water system may well be rendered unusable until a replacement valve can be obtained.

Following on from Derek's excellent advice.....you could check there is no water discharging from the clear pipe when the boiler is in operation. A significant leak or a dribble could indicate that the one-way (non return valve) needs replacing. As Derek mentioned, if this fails completely, you could lose both hot/cold water or at least a significant reduction in pressure ..so worth checking.

However, my initial thought was that the non-return valve (NRV) near or within the submersible pump was faulty, as mentioned in previous posts. This seems to be a recurring problem with the Hymer style plumbing system although I never experienced it in 10 years of Hymer ownship.

Archived