You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Motorhome Matters
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Format:  Go
Truma c3402 / 6002 spark generator - ignition transformer
AuthorMessage
userHughmer
Posted: 4 May 2021 3:15 PM
Subject: Truma c3402 / 6002 spark generator - ignition transformer

Forgive me if this has been covered, I tried a few search strings and found Mark Hymer's remarkable and very useful thread Truma Boiler 3402/6002 PCB FIX, But his was a different problem

My Boiler isn't igniting. and I'm confident that it is the "little blue box" (the ignition transformer) that generates the HT spark(s). Full story below if you're super keen,
BUT the purpose of this post is to determine if anyone knows the whereabouts of a suitable ignition transformer part 49 on the Truma diagram.
Needless to say I have tried to source the kosher Truma part but as they obsoleted the boiler in 2012 it seems all the spares have been bought.

Does anyone know if is there another part that will do the trick?. 12v in > 18kv @ 3 or 5Hz out
Similarly, my electrodes look ok at the moment but if they fail, snap, wear out, - can one get spares?

Full story
I have the boiler out and have organised a gas supply.
Fans start, the gas valve opens, 12v appears on the blue box but i only get one spark
I understand the blue box should generate about 3 or 5 sparks / sec, - until the ionisation probe detects a flame

The gap between the spark electrodes is bout 6mm (Pretty close to truma's tech booklet) also pictured
Closing the gap makes no difference to frequency of spark. - i still only get one at a time, - i.e. by dissing and reconnecting the 12v supply.

(parts diagram.jpg)

(sparker sm.JPG)

(electrode gap.JPG)

(truma book sm.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments parts diagram.jpg (97KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments sparker sm.JPG (56KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments electrode gap.JPG (99KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments truma book sm.JPG (64KB - 4 downloads)
userAlanb
Posted: 4 May 2021 5:53 PM
Subject: RE: Truma c3402 / 6002 spark generator - ignition transformer

Epic contributor

Thinking outside the box, would the spark generator for a fridge be a possible alternative?

Alan

Edited by Alanb 2021-05-04 5:55 PM
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 4 May 2021 6:25 PM

Hughmer

I can’t argue with your diagnosis, but it might be worth mentioning the problem I had in the early 2000s with the Trumatic C-3402 EL heater that was fitted to my Herald Templar.

On Day 1 of a March trip to France the heater became very difficult to light (on gas) and by Day 3 lighting had become impossible.

I later took the motorhome to Truma UK’s HQ and, when the heater had been dismantled, it was found that the ceramic insulation on the gas-ignition electrodes had cracked, preventing sparking from taking place at the tip of the electrodes and within the gas envelope.

Leisureshopdirect advertise some spares for C3402/C6002 appliances

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/gas/water/truma-heaters/trumatic-c-6002-c-3402-spare-parts

including these parts

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/gas/caravan-gas-water-heater/truma-heaters/trumatic-c-6002-c-3402-spare-parts/12v-ignitor-trumatic-c3402-c6002-c4002

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/gas/caravan-gas-water-heater/truma-heaters/trumatic-c-6002-c-3402-spare-parts/truma-ignition-plug-left-for-the-trumatic-c6002-c3402

(I ’tweaked’ your diagram image for extra clarity...)
userHughmer
Posted: 4 May 2021 6:30 PM

Ha you beat me to it
Ive been looking at the DCZ1/12 which is exactly that ... for fridge pilots.
Similar spark rate too
The only snag is that the fridge unit is a single pole HT relying on Chassis earth for return.
Also found a Dutch thread
https://camperforum.nl/viewtopic.php?t=8452930&start=14
discussing a cheaper multi pole spark unit, but it still requires earth return

The Truma unit s 2pole HT (spark is between 2 individual electrodes, rather that Electrode & Chassis)

I guess someone will know if its safe to ground one of the truma electrodes ...
userHughmer
Posted: 4 May 2021 6:58 PM

Derek
Thanks for the info
The difficulty with LSD is although they advertise Truma stuff all stock is spoken for.
I have inspected my ceramics and they look very healthy, no signs of fracture. AND I can get one spark from the unit through the 'trodes each time I connect 12v So methinks// if the insulators allow 1 spark, surely they'd allow more if more were delivered...?
It seems to point to the transformer.
I'm tempted by the IGB60 unit (quite common on narrow boats to replace 240v sparkers in domestic appliances) but as my 6002 is a chassis earth HT return, I'm still uncertain about whether it's safe to ground one of the 'trodes

I'm cautious because the Truma igniter also has a separate earth terminal tagged to the boiler chassis. So 5 terminals in all.
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 5 May 2021 6:51 AM

You also asked about replacement electrodes, so this advert may be useful if you should need them.

https://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.com/34020-60800-truma-ignitor-plug-kit-screws-truma-spare-parts.html

The Truma Part Number for the DCZ unit is 34010-14100 and a GOOGLE-search retrieves several hits across several countries. However, you may want to check with Truma(UK) whether this part is actually available nowadays.

(I came across a 2019 thread on an Italian forum asking about replacing on a Trumatic C6002 an ‘old type’ spark-generator box (which evidently was black in colour, 50Hz and cost about €130) with the later (blue) 35Hz box that cost about €45. It was said that the black generator sparked successively (eg. click-click-click) whereas the blue box produced a stream of sparks. Replacing the 50Hz unit with the 35Hz unit proved to be successful.)

Jump to page : First 1 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator