Truma-combi query

snowie

I thought I had posted this about 20 mins ago, but it hasn’t appeared, so here goes again.

We’ve just had a Truma- Combi installed, and can’t get it working.

Was ok on handover last night on space heating, this morning on water heating.

Only used gas on this short trip.

Strange stipulation on page 16 of operating instructions, suggesting that gas cylinders must be upright.

Ours is horizontal underslung.

No error codes, very odd.

First unit was returned to Truma, this one was working.

Is anybody out there using a Truma-combi with underslung gas cylinder?

Regards, Snowie

Truma’s operating instructions for a Combi heater assume that the user’s gas-supply will comprise vapour-takeoff exchange-only gas cylinders, because that’s still the norm for leisure vehicles. The warning on Page 16 goes on to say that liquid-takeoff cylinders (eg. those used to fuel fork-lifs) must not be employed.

Similarly, when a gas-tank is involved, that tank must be the vapour-takeoff type (as the gas-tanks fitted to motorhomes normally are) not a liquid-takeoff tank of the type used to fuel vehicles’ motors.

So - in principle at least - it should make no difference whatsoever to a Truma Combi’s operation whether a motorhome has vapour-takeoff gas cylinders or an underslung vapour-takeoff gas tank.

Fault-finding advice is provided in the Truma control-panel guides

https://dealernew.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma_Katalog/2%20gb/bedienteile_gb/bedienteile_ues_gb.html

but you say no error codes are being produced.

If, when you attempt to get the Combi to operate, nothing at all happens (ie. no readout appears on the digital control-panel’s display) are you certain that 12V power is being provided to the Combi?

It’s commonplace to wire these heaters up so that a switch (or switches) on the motorhome’s main control-panel needs to be in the On position to provide 12V power to the heater and, if the heater gets no 12V power, it will not work at all.

If the Combi’s control-panel’s display is providing a readout with no error codes showing, it’s possible that you’ve accidentally selected an option (eg. a timer) that is preventing the heater from firing up.

Thanks Derek, the control panel is operational, even uptonand beyond “offset”!,

The timer could be an issue, though we are not using the heater in timer mode, just as and when we need heat or hot water.

Will check that, but no indication on control panel.

We have initialised the system several times but it makes no difference. Wired that all was well until we shut it off when we went out for the day.

Cheers, Snowie

Suggest you turn off every ‘option’ on the control-panel that’s possible, so that the thing will be operating in in its simplest On-or-Off mode. As the control-panel is live and no error messages are being displayed, it sounds like the heater is OK but is in a ‘wait state’.

Probably your fault for being too clever... ;-)

Well: it’s very strange, but I’ve just been back to the control panel and set water heating first, then space heating, and both top row icons are flashing, van is warming up. Energy is diverted to space heating so water is not yet heated.

All we’ve done is turn on water heating as well as space heating.

I think we need another lesson, and a couple more 2 night trips! Before going away for a long trip,

Cheers, Snowie

snowie - 2018-09-26 9:40 AM

.....Energy is diverted to space heating so water is not yet heated.....

...you can alter the space/water heating priority (when both are requested) by using the "boost" setting for water, which will give priority to water heating for (I think) a maximum of 40 minutes.

I think the Truma staff must have gone on a special design course for their Combi control systems. The confusion caused by the old analogue systems (particularly where the electric option was included) could at least be forgiven because there was little "soft" logic in the system. The newer CP plus system could however (IMO) have had a significantly more user-friendly interface coded in).

Hi

Is it ok if I add to this thread, i' ve returned from 4 week trip last Thursday and have had problems with my truma comb it worked the first 3 days then i started getting fault codes W 45 H, E 122 H, E 212 H, E 69 H & E 89 H. I tried it on gas only electric 1 & 2 and mixed 1 & 2. I was after hot water when on some aires no joy so went on to sites (all other gas was working) Have now tried it at home and I have no hot water or heating.

Any ideas

Paul

Robinhood - 2018-09-26 9:58 AM

snowie - 2018-09-26 9:40 AM

.....Energy is diverted to space heating so water is not yet heated.....

...you can alter the space/water heating priority (when both are requested) by using the "boost" setting for water, which will give priority to water heating for (I think) a maximum of 40 minutes.

I think the Truma staff must have gone on a special design course for their Combi control systems. The confusion caused by the old analogue systems (particularly where the electric option was included) could at least be forgiven because there was little "soft" logic in the system. The newer CP plus system could however (IMO) have had a significantly more user-friendly interface coded in).

Well we’ve just arrived home, arranged to go see the installer for another session, so bedtime reading is fixed for a few nights.

Interesting to note the “Boost” function.

Am I right about the need to switch both air and water heating on ? To maximise the heat capacity of the unit , or provide a heat sink? It’s a heck of a lot of energy potential! Particularly on mixed gas and electric.

regards, Snowie

It used to be instructions for Chinese and Japanese hi-fi that were incomprehensible, but I’m not surprised that translation of technical German is so hard to understand. Esperanto anyone?

Guest pelmetman
snowie - 2018-09-25 10:05 PM

I thought I had posted this about 20 mins ago, but it hasn’t appeared, so here goes again.

We’ve just had a Truma- Combi installed, and can’t get it working.

Was ok on handover last night on space heating, this morning on water heating.

Only used gas on this short trip.

Strange stipulation on page 16 of operating instructions, suggesting that gas cylinders must be upright.

Ours is horizontal underslung.

No error codes, very odd.

First unit was returned to Truma, this one was working.

Is anybody out there using a Truma-combi with underslung gas cylinder?

Regards, Snowie

You prolly missed the small print ;-) ........

"Don't use in the cold" :D .........

Archived