Truma heater flashing 9 times for no gas when gas in bottle

bucko 1

We were off grid and had the fridge on gas running perfect but when put heater on it ran for about 5 mins then clicked off flashing 9 times to say no gas even though we had gas in the bottle the hot water part heated up but as soon as we put heater on it clicked off saying no gas although cooker still running and fridge on gas any ideas please been told a habitation check will not pick up this fault thanks

My guess would be that your regulator has failed. This was a quite common occurrence in the past with the suggested fault being plasticiser leached out of the rubber pigtail as an oil which then blocked the regulator.

There is info in this Gaslow leaflet about it... https://www.vanbitz.com/wp-content/uploads/Stainless_Steel_A4.pdf

You would need to test the gas pressure after the regulator to confirm.

Keith.

The same issue was discussed in this 2018 MotorHomeFun forum thread

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/truma-combi-9-yellow-flashes-wont-start.170607/

In that instance the problem was traced to the (two) propane gas bottles having inadequate gas in them. As replacing one of those bottles with a full one cured the problem, I would have thought that this meant that both of the bottles had been near enough empty, or that (as suggested by "Stroppy Bird" in the MHFun thread and by Keithll above) that the real cause was that the motorhome's gas regulator was failing and could not cope with a Truma Combi's high gas demand when warm-air heating was selected.

First thing for Bucko 1 to do is to confirm (not guess!) that there is plenty of gas in the motorhome's bottle(s) (that, presumably, contain PROPANE). If there's any doubt about this, fit a full PROPANE bottle.

Bucko 1's motorhome is now 8 years old and - assuming its gas regulator is the original Truma/GOK one - that's not a bad lifespan for this regulator. A crude (but fairly effective) check for a failing regulator is to turn on ALL the gas-fuelled cooking appliances to maximum and check their burner flames. I think a 2014 Auto-Roller 694 will have a 3-burner hob and an oven, and if all the hob's burners and the oven are simultaneously operated at 'full blast' and their gas flames show no sign of being unusually low, it's reasonable to assume that the gas regulator is OK.

If the gas regulator is OK and there's nothing impeding gas-flow between the regulator and the Truma heater (eg. a gas stop-cock being partially turned off) the problem's going to lie with the heater itself.

bucko 1 - 2022-04-27 9:14 PM

hi thanks ,hope thats all it is will give it a try

Checking the pressure won't necessarily answer your problem as its quantity of gas not just pressure you req you can measure a high pressure with very low supply. I'd try turning the heating on with the hob burners also on and see if the hob burners drop just before the heating goes off. If so that would make me think of a flow supply possibly the regulator.

bucko 1 - 2022-05-01 8:20 PM

all replies helpful and appreciated thanks with 2 new gas bottles and a new regulator fitted seems to be working ok now at the moment fingers crossed this has solved our issue,

Your update is Also Appreciated Glad its all sorted

Archived