Turbo or Non-Turbo

Guest Michael Barratt

Guest Michael Barratt
I am in the process of buying my first Motorhome with a budget of about £11k. I have narrowd the choice down to a Swift 540. Can anyone give advice as to the difference I could expect from a non-turbo against a turbo 2.5 diesel power unit in a Talbot Express?

You'll find a non-turbo can be very sluggish so it depends on where you are intending to go/use the 'van. A non-turbo will tend to be a bit cheaper than a turbo van for obvious reasons, personally if I really good non-turbo came up and you can live with the lack of umph then it could be worth going for it, always assuming it is well priced as well. A turbo version is more in demand than a non-turbo so resale value should be a consideration. Whatever you do, make sure you get the van mechanics checked out by someone who know's what they are doing. Our first coachbuilt was a 1.9 turbo but the chap we bought it off had had it for 2 years and never been able to go above 60mph due to the turbo warning light coming on!!! After a couple of phone calls we had a good idea what the matter was (sticking waste gate due to under-use) and a garage fixed it for £25.00 ... 70mph+ no problem!!! We think this was part of the reason he was having difficulty selling it so we got it for a good price and he got rid of something he thought was a major problem. The gearbox on Talbots can be really bad, we had a really good one ... as our dealership told us when we came to trade in, they hadn't had such a good one for ages ... so make sure you give it a good test drive with plenty of runs up and down the gears, including reverse. Sorry, have to run now.

I agree with Mel, But would add that if you go non turbo it must be considered a long term investment as the marketability of non turbo diesels is falling fast. If it were me I would borrow the shortfall from the bank and get a turbo diesel. (Ford, VW,Merc, Iveco, even Renault!) It will be a lot less costly that retro-fitting a turbo system later and carry zero risk.

Archived