Turn Your Gas Off ?

Terrytraveller

I thought I would start a new thread in the light of recent comments about turning cylinders off whilst travelling, and my experience installing a Gaslow System over the last few days. After installing the Gaslow Propane adapter (01 - 4330) onto the Gaslow cylinder (gas tight on this joint is guaranteed because they use a rubber sealing washer). I screwed the propane (calor) regulator into the adaptor, which has the same ground dome connections as the normal Calor propane cylinder. After filling up with LPG and testing the adaptor to regulator joint with soapy water it seemed gas tight, by the way I always do a gas tight test when changing normal calor cylinders in the past, with soapy water. The leak was intially detected, not by the soapy water test, but by the gauge on the Gaslow adaptor, only showing RED after about an hour (cylinder turned off). using a soap solution and looking very very carefully, I could only just detect a bubble! Over the past couple of years of using calor gas propane cylinders I have noticed a residue of 'Boss White' type substance on the threads of some replacement cylinders. Could it be that many people have found problems with getting a gas tight seal on these ground dome connections? I finally sealed the Calor gas regulator joint with Jet Blue, a jointing compound for high pressure systems including LPG. Turning the gas cylinder off, with full pressure in all pipework, after twenty-four hours, the system gave a green reading on the gaslow gauge, so definately no leaks anywhere on the system, all manifolds were open to the appliances. My point being - can you be absolutely 100% sure that the last cylinder connection you made, after replacing your cylinder is gas tight? I would highly recommend turning the cylinder gas taps off when travelling, and especially if you are on the same ferry as me. Regards Terry

Terry,When you going ...............I'll go with you rather take my chance's with you than Olley, He manages to have LPG on Gas on F*****ting the thing drive's itself .Make sandwiches catch a nap & still get out of the drivers chair for a lump of cheese.........YOU see it's all a risk management thing he say's................. (lol) (lol) (lol) Probably be asleepin the back when the boat rolls into the sea............. :->

[QUOTE]Terrytraveller - 2006-08-05 2:05 PM ................My point being - can you be absolutely 100% sure that the last cylinder connection you made, after replacing your cylinder is gas tight? I would highly recommend turning the cylinder gas taps off when travelling, and especially if you are on the same ferry as me. Regards Terry [/QUOTE]

Terry

Only, oh wise one, if you do as you did, and pressure test your system with a pressure gauge (Gaslow do them) or by using the auto changeover valve with the bottles both turned off. 

In fact I tend to do an occasional additional test by turning the gas on to the main manifold only, but with all the outlets closed, then turn off at the bottle, leave overnight and check, then open supply to each appliance in turn, turning gas bottle on and off again to re-pressurise the line, to test each leg for weaknesses, and finally, another overnight test with the manifold open to all appliances, again turning the bottles on and off again to re-pressurise.  After that, if you turn the gas off at the bottles while travelling, and check the gauge/changeover valve colour before you turn on again, you "test" the system for leaks every time you stop.

So who's a good boy then?

Now now michelle lets not get silly. (lol) (lol) Two townsend ferries and another one in the baltic both foundered due to water getting in, to the best of my knowledge no ferry has ever founded due to a fire on the car deck. So your quite safe next to me, and if its cold you can warm yourself up on my fridge vent or water heater. :-D

Hi Michele, Brian and Olley, Thanks for your replies, Michele we are usually away for Sept, October and return first week of November, I've had enough by then! Are you going over soon? Brian, if the gas test had failed the complete open system, the procedure you mention would be the logical way to find out where the leak was. For years I have been using the soapy water test and have always trusted it- but no more. Olley, I am surprised at you, fancy leaving the gas on, and the fridge alight on the ferry, you never heard of fire sinking the ship because its the explosion just before it sinks, that was blamed for the foundering!!! Incidently - always apply your handbrake before leaving the car deck, did you see the picture in the Sun, a tanker hanging off of the blunt end of Norfolklines new ferry. Regards Terry

Hi terry, last year because I am nosy I had a look at some other M/h on the N/L ferry, out of 5, 2 had their fridge’s on. From that very unscientific sample I would imagine its more common than you think. People just forget. olley

Archived