Turn left or turn right?

Albertslad

We are having quite a bit of work done to “the van”, sorting out a few “niggles” and planning to buy an awning:; all motivated by the desire to get back to France, and start behaving more normally.

At the moment our plan is to head for the Bordeaux area, for September.

We plan to use the Tunnel.

This will be our first post-Brexit trip to the European Community. I’m interested to know if France is as welcoming as I remember, or if you can notice any changes? I appreciate that this is a very subjective thing.

We have an unfinished trip that could be a reasonable alternative, turning left to Holland.

Of course, weather could dictate the final decision.

Regards

We have been on France for the first time since Oct 2019. Left UK on 31.05.2022 and drove down the Western side, the across to the Cotes D'Azur. Currently in Grimaud. No changes - still as welcoming.

No doubt about it things are more expensive but prices are more or less on parity with UK diesel €2.08/l, wine from €2.5 upwards. Meat expensive, fruit and Veg pricey but no worse than UK.

We use ACSI so prices are as listed in book.

The tunnel was easy, the French simply stamped our passports, didn't check food or anything ... we had a freezer full!

I honestly don't think you'll notice any change other than prices?

My choice would be turn right for Bordeaux!

Jeremy

In this so called post Covid era it would probably make sense to be aware of any possible strikes, protests and disruption in France, (and elsewhere) that may impact on a m/homing tour.

I happened to be travelling through France when the Gilets Jaunes were doing their thing a few years ago, most roundabouts were barricaded for long periods. I reckon my lungs still have tyre smoke in them!

As already stated, everything has gone up costwise.....naturally.

Otherwise post Brexit, more fuel stops are now soley automated. Angles Mortes signs required for over 3.5tonnes. Priorite a Droite signs seem to be making a resurgence - in rural areas mainly. More speed cameras.....of course.

Cite Europe overnite stop in Calais now no longer permitted, at least not for the rosbifs.

An increase in previously free Motorhome Aires becoming pay for, with Debit/Credit Card barrier access.

Apart from the above France is exactly the same as it was 40 years ago!

I haven't been to Holland for some years, but acquaintances that recently visited inform me, Amsterdam is not the clean benign place it once was. According to them quite the opposite. So out the tunnel it's turn right :-D

I asked this question because some friends had recently had a short holiday on a posh camping site.

Not sure where exactly, but they had found it less welcoming than they had experienced previously, particularly , they had had “language problems” and were left to struggle with their admittedly limited GCE French. I think I would notice this, and We do make an effort. So we’ll see??

Thanks for responses

Actually I find the opposite? I always try in my French, and after we have established I am not a German!, they go into English. I then insist we speak French ... you never learn anything otherwise, and they do appreciate it. I personally think we should make the effort in their country. The best expression is "Parlez vous lentement S'il vous plait M'Sieur/Madame" Usually works for 30 secs. Tee hee!

My French does improve over the 6 or 7 weeks we are here.

Near the border with Spain you might expect a local French person to speaka da Spanish, but not so in my experience. When I talk in my schoolboy French some locals can get a bit impatient with zee Rosbif, I ask of them (in Spanish) if they speak Spanish considering its close proximity, invariably they reply non and look a bit embarrassed as I gabble on in Spanish to make my point.

They 'may' of course speak Basque or even Catalan as X border 2nd languages.

Archived