Tyre Pressure Monitoring Device

JohnP

My van (Bailey on Peugeot) came with TPMS as standard.

There are battery-powered senders in each wheel as part of the tyre valve.

The batteries can last approx. 7 years apparently.

The valve core is alloy, the valve outer is stainless and the rim is mild steel. Add a saline solution as found on winter roads and watch it all fizz into extinction.

The sensors are coded to the ECU so you cannot use other wheels, or indeed the spare wheel which doesn't have a sender, without triggerring the TPMS warning light, which would be an MOT failure.

New senders are c. £80 per wheel, plus c. £40 for Peugeot to code them to the ECU.

There is no information as to what the pressure parameters are i.e. at what pressure an alarm would be given; I've deflated them to 50%. of recommended pressure as a test and didn't get a warning.

You'll gather that I'm not a fan :-D

I bought indicating tyre valves for a motorcycle and then discovered the pressure drop before they would signal air loss was several psi, so far too much pressure loss before detection for riding safety. I took them off and threw them away.

Loss of a few psi might not be so critical in a motorhome when you consider that tyres get warm in use so the pressure rises - and detection of a failure has to wait until the pressure drops back to the normal cold level and then quite a bit more. Unless the system was very clever indeed in overcoming this error margin, you might be just as well looking to see if the tyres look a bit flat before you set off!

If any of you run a Volkswagen T5 you may find this thread on the VW T4/T5 forum interesting

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=402107

Most VW T5s from 2010 onward have the basic TPMS built in although not implemented on a majority of vehicles. This is the simple system that monitors the ABS pulses from the wheel sensors to determine if there are any significant changes in any one wheel speed. i.e. a tire with less pressure than the others will be of a smaller radius than the others thus will turn faster.

Rod_vw - 2015-02-19 9:31 PM

If any of you run a Volkswagen T5 you may find this thread on the VW T4/T5 forum interesting

Most VW T5s from 2010 onward have the basic TPMS built in although not implemented on a majority of vehicles. This is the simple system that monitors the ABS pulses from the wheel sensors to determine if there are any significant changes in any one wheel speed. i.e. a tire with less pressure than the others will be of a smaller radius than the others thus will turn faster.

SEAT use the same system across their range. It's on mine and was even on the basic Mio (same as VW Up) courtesy car that I had recently. There's a button to press to initialise the system should you change wheels/tyres/pressures. I wish Sevel had gone down the same route as it's so much less complicated and expensive to maintain.

silverback - 2015-02-19 10:31 PM

ive got a system from tyrepal, wether its any good is debateable, if the tyre blows its gonna go instantly so are they worth it? having said that a slow puncture as you are driving is detected so you could stop....thats why i bought it...it's personal choice for £140 ish

jon

Before a tyre "blows out" there will be a considerable increase in temperature. The system I am about to fit (TyrePal TB99) will detect this and sound/show an alarm. The temperature and pressure parameters can be set by the user.

Dave

Steve928 - 2015-02-20 7:09 AM

Rod_vw - 2015-02-19 9:31 PM

SEAT use the same system across their range. It's on mine and was even on the basic Mio (same as VW Up) courtesy car that I had recently. There's a button to press to initialise the system should you change wheels/tyres/pressures. I wish Sevel had gone down the same route as it's so much less complicated and expensive to maintain.

Yes, that is exactly what the T5 has (can have) I am just about to install the 'SET' switch on mine having done the re-code of the ABS module and tested it out to prove that it all works correctly. I am by no means the only T5 owner doing the same modification.

Joe90 - 2015-02-20 9:03 AM

I just wish I could find a garage forecourt pump that goes beyond 60psi, and an accurate tyre gauge to use when finding one that does.

HGV portion of a motorway services?

And never trust a third party pressure gauge, carry one of your own.

Rod_vw - 2015-02-20 9:10 AM

Joe90 - 2015-02-20 9:03 AM

I just wish I could find a garage forecourt pump that goes beyond 60psi, and an accurate tyre gauge to use when finding one that does.

HGV portion of a motorway services?

And never trust a third party pressure gauge, carry one of your own.

Not many motorway services in West Wales, not even a motorway, but I do have two of my own gauges, both give a different reading.

Steve928 - 2015-02-19 7:10 PM

My van (Bailey on Peugeot) came with TPMS as standard.

There are battery-powered senders in each wheel as part of the tyre valve.

The batteries can last approx. 7 years apparently.

The valve core is alloy, the valve outer is stainless and the rim is mild steel. Add a saline solution as found on winter roads and watch it all fizz into extinction.

The sensors are coded to the ECU so you cannot use other wheels, or indeed the spare wheel which doesn't have a sender, without triggerring the TPMS warning light, which would be an MOT failure.

New senders are c. £80 per wheel, plus c. £40 for Peugeot to code them to the ECU.

There is no information as to what the pressure parameters are i.e. at what pressure an alarm would be given; I've deflated them to 50%. of recommended pressure as a test and didn't get a warning.

You'll gather that I'm not a fan :-D

These devices are a 'nice to have' accessory but rather expensive. So how can one failing be an MOT failure ? And what idiot wants to link such a liability to the vehicles ECU ? Causing yet another sensor failure to put the vehicle into 'limp mode' ? More unreliability ' built in'' ?

Ray

Archived