Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

stevec176

stevec176 - 2019-06-18 3:22 PM

I'm looking to fit a TPMS to my van. I'm considering the Michelin 63000, any one got a recommendations please.

Assuming this is the Michelin 63000 system

https://fit2gotpms.com/michelin-tpms/

it needs less effort at the installation stage than the TyrePal products, no ‘user programming’ is required and the Michelin tyre-valve sensors have integrated batteries rather than replaceable ones.

I have a TyrePal “Solar” system (the earlier monochrome version) and this has been reliable over the last 3 years, but the tyre-valve sensor batteries do need to have a good state of charge.

I have an older version of the Tryepal, a TB99 and for more years than I can remember.

It has been trouble free only requiring about every two or three years changing the Panasonic CR1632 batteries, a few minutes task and about a £1 each online if purchased in a multi pack. Indeed I have only changed them because I thought I ought, never because they "failed". That you can change the batteries is IMO more an asset that disadvantage, certainly at such trivial cost.

I have no recollection of setting them up being a challenge, and any real hassle there would be something I would remember.

I read criticism you can't readily check the cold pressures as they replace the valve caps. I find they flag up the pressures very soon after moving off. I have long since not bothered taking the sensors off to use a pressure gauge.

The Michelin system will require you to purchase a set of replacement sensors every 3-5 years (according to the manufacturer) due to the integrated battery mention in Derek's posting, so my vote would remain with TyrePal which is what my van has used for over 5 years. I change my sensor batteries as a precaution every two years at a total current cost of £1.49 . The accuracy of the sensors appears to be good and I like the fact that I can set my own upper and lower limits for pressure and temperature alarms.

Looking at the Michelin details I note that their high temperature alarm is set to go off at above 90C. That seems mighty hot, or am I just unaware of the temperature that tyres can run at during normal usage?

I have the tyrepal solar, the new colour version, my only criticism would be the display not that easy to read in direct sunlight, and as the solar panel for the unit is on the top, it needs to be placed somewhere sunny.

Apart from that it does the trick

We have just fitted the TyrePal (new colour model) this afternoon. Leaving it to charge up now and will take it for a run tomorrow and see how it performs. Will let you know of any snags but so far easy enough to fit. We’re now deciding whether to buy a fifth sensor to go on the spare tyre as this would seem a sensible precaution.

As there’s no certainty how long a TyrePal system will have been ‘on the shelf’ before it is despatched to a buyer, it would be wise to check the voltage of the tyre-valve sensor batteries when the system is received.

It’s also worth being aware that motorhome tyres’ cold inflation pressure increases significantly when the vehicle is being driven, and if a cold pressure of (say) 80psi is being used the setting for the high pressure alert will need to be around 95psi.

(The sensor batteries provided by TyrePal are “EUNICELL” brand. These are cheaply available on-line and are probably as good as any.)

TPMS was fitted to my van as standard (something that i would not have added to the list) just had the van MOT'D and it failed as after blowing the tyres up the TMPS still showed as under inflated, Peugeot very kindly offered to put the van on their diagnostic machine for a mere £125.00 per hour to see what the fault was, if you refuse your van has failed and can not be driven away (hobsons choice) but i am not bitter (much)

apparently there was no fault but they cleared the cache and all was well.

Being disabled, I can't get down to blow up tyres so I thought that they would do it as part of the service.

However, I find them very temperamental, we have them on the car, one day says under inflated but the next day all's fine.

Perhaps better to check them regularly in the old fashioned way, from experience, if you get a sudden blow out in the middle lane of the motorway you don't need TPMS just an empty carriageway and a clean pair of pants.

Pete

breakaleg - 2019-06-27 9:21 AM

.. just had the van MOT'D and it failed as after blowing the tyres up the TMPS still showed as under inflated,

Pete

It should not have failed for a TPMS under-inflation warning, as the MOT manual makes clear.

Capture.JPG.04e148f3603036c968841c44e9e7d5ae.JPG

I agree,

But how can they tell if it is a serious malfunction until it goes on the diagnostic machine ?

Even that didn't answer the question, I have heard that you have to drive about 30 miles before it resets but that to would be chargeable and no guarantee that it would work afterwards.

I did ask if it could be switched off? after all, you are supposed to check your tyres for ware each week. mine by the way were quite worn and had to be replaced one had a cut that exposed the threads (for the want of the proper word .lol

Pete

webby1 - 2019-06-27 9:35 AM

Just so I don't get confused you are saying that they are an MOT point if fitted as standard.

I assume I can just remove the TyrePals if necessary

Add-on ‘3rd party’ TPMS systems (like the TyrePal products) cannot be considered an integral part of a vehicle’s specification, anymore than a stand-alone sat-nav or dash-cam can be.

So a TyrePal TPMS system (if actually switched on and in working order) should not be included in an MOT test, anymore than a sat-nav or dash-cam should be.

If a TPMS system IS an integral part of a vehicle’s specification - as tends to be the case with recent Peugeot Boxer-based motorhomes and (presumably) will be a standard feature of 2020 Fiat Ducatos - and (as Steve928 touches on) the TPMS is identified as malfunctioning when the vehicle is MOTed, that’s another matter.

As breakaleg points out, diagnosing a genuine TPMS malfunction may well not be straightforward.

Archived