Tyre data for the hive mind

mikejkay

I have just replaced the Michelin Camper tyres on my 2016 registered.m.h. The tyres were swopped front to back in April 2018. The remaining tread was between 1.9mm and 2.5mm on the rear and between 3mm and 4mm on the front. The tyres are the original fittings and the m.h. has done almost exactly 23,000 miles. From the code on the tyres it seems that they are four years old. The tyre fitter pointed out some slight longitudinal cracks in the grooves in the tread.

IMHO not a very good advertisement for Michelin.

By the way I'm no Stirling Moss!

P.S. For the curious the tyres were replaced because I have an 8,000 mile trip coming up, EU bureaucrats permitting

I’ve no idea what the title of your posting is supposed to signify, but crazing/perishing/cracking at the base of the grooves between a tyre’s tread blocks is evidently quite common (as will be plain from the results of this GOOGLE-search) and does not relate just to Michelin.

https://tinyurl.com/y489ndm2

I’ve attached a photo showng an example of the phenomenon.

All four Continental tyres fitted to my wife’s Skoda car (bought new in 2009) began to exhibit circumferential shallow cracking at the base of the tread grooves after about 4 years. It was noticed by the MOT tester in 2014 and an advisory notice "all 4 tyres starting to perish along tread pattern” was issued. The car’s overall mileage at that time was 8713 miles. The ‘perishing’ (which had not worsened) was ignored by the tester the following year, but I chose to swap the Continental tyres for Hankooks shortly afterwards.

1345954753_tyrecrazing.jpg.295f9cc4de7e4eee86191aabfefc5ecb.jpg

mikejkay - 2019-03-21 12:25 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2019-03-21 7:54 AM

I’ve no idea what the title of your posting is supposed to signify,

Hive mind - Collective consciousness

I know what “hive mind” means - it’s like a gestalt with bee connotations - but God knows why you should use the term to title a posting about cracking in tyre-tread grooves.

From Dictionary.com:

Hive mind.

noun

1 the property of apparent sentience in a colony of social insects acting as a single organism, each insect performing a specific role for the good of the group.

2 Psychology , Sociology .

a) a collective consciousness, analogous to the behaviour of social insects, in which a group of people become aware of their commonality and think and act as a community, sharing their knowledge, thoughts, and resources:

the global hive mind that has emerged with sites like Twitter and Facebook.

b) such a group mentality characterized by uncritical conformity and loss of a sense of individuality and personal accountability.

Here lies the problem. Motorhomers are not of this type of person! :-D

I know what “hive mind” means - it’s like a gestalt with bee connotations - but God knows why you should use the term to title a posting about cracking in tyre-tread grooves.

I'm pretentious, sorry :-(

I meant my post to add some hard data to the information stored on this forum.

Archived