Tyre pressures on a Symbol

Guest Bill

Hi. Can anyone advise on tyre pressures for a 2003 Auto Sleeper Symbol please? It has the original Pirelli 205/70 R 15 C tyres fitted.

Guest Derek Uzzell
I would take an educated guess at 60psi front and rear if you planned to use the vehicle at the chassis' maximum permitted loaded weight. What's the load/speed index of the Pirelli tyres (ie. the number/letter combination following the 'size' data - for example 205/70 R 15 C 106/104R)? And what's the motor in your Symbol? In fact, the likelihood is that your Symbol's 'holidaying' weight will come nowhere near the chassis maximum and you could use lower pressures for comfort with safety. Only sensible way to know whether this would be the case is to put the motorhome on a weighbridge and then seek advice from the tyre manufacturer.

Thank you Derek. The extra information on the tyre is 106/104 R (8PR) The reason I ask is that the ride is very very hard - and we will not be travelling at anywhere near the maximum weight for 95% of the time.

Hello Bill, The tyre pressures on the Pirellis at full load of 3300 kg should be 58 psi front and 65 psi rear. As Derek advises these pressures could be lowered if the Symbol is running at a weight lighter than maximum. Best bet is to get the Symbol weighed for each axle at your normal running weight and then apply the pressures according to the weights. Pirelli should be able to advise or if you post the weights on the forum I can give you the correct pressures. Regards, Mike C

Thanks Mike I have now taken the readings - the tyres were all 75 psi. So I have reduced them to 50 and the ride has been transformed. When we have loaded the van up to the maximum for time away, I'll take it to a weighbridge and post the results here. It's very kind of you both to help. Regards - Bill

Archived