Tyrepal reliability

rooster63

Bought the Solar Tyrepal system just over 2 years ago and it worked fine, proved it's worth when we picked up a screw in a front tyre, had plenty of warning of pressure drop so able to get to a lay by and as the tyre wasn't damaged by driving when flat was able to get it repaired. Couple of months ago started getting false alarms, supposedly pressure had dropped in one or more tyres but it hadn't. ( the reading was still usually showing normal pressure) Replaced sensor batteries but problem persisted, not always the same tyre and sometimes the low sensor battery would flash. Sometimes after a few miles driving and the alarm going off every 2 mins it would then settle down. Checked sensor batteries using a voltmeter, all showing 3V+. Contacted Tyrepal and they arranged for a post free collection and they tested the system but could find no fault.

They offered to sell me 4 new sensors for £40 or a complete new Solar Colour for £50 (half price) which I accepted.

Not sure if I was just unlucky or whether TPS systems or Tyrepal in particular are prone to fail as they are exposed to all sorts of conditions being attached to a vehicle.

Daft as it might seem, I read a post some time ago on one of the many forums I frequent, so I can’t recall which, however the gist of the post was that when batteries were replaced they did not perform as well as or as long as might be expected.

What seemed strange to the point of incredulity was that if you obtained replacement batteries directly from tyrepal, no issues were reported. I cannot recall the brand they supply, but people had trouble with some of the more reputable brands!

One of life’s little mysteries, but beyond manipulation of the monitor manufacturer to influence.

Davy

yes i have had a few false alarms, but not many, not as in indicating blow out just a small pressure drop when there wasn't, (i have the predecessor to the solar unit) the eunicell batteries i use them all the time had no issues with them and buy them off ebay, but it is said there are fakes out there, oh and they are made in China...but isn't everything *-)

Jonathan

The colour solar fitted to our new N/B appears to work well, BUT when the monitor first wakes up, the pressures shown are not correct. However, when running, they appear to be working well. I have agreed with TyrePal to return the monitor for checking. They have always been helpful, and we have 4 of their systems.

These earlier forum threads mention TyrePal TPMS systems

https://tinyurl.com/y2syo8ku

I only motorcaravan from April through October, removing in November the tyre-valve sensors of my monochrome TyrePal “Solar” system and re-installing the sensors the following March. The sensors need well-charged batteries and I now fit new Eunicell batteries before refitting the sensors. I did try “Energizer” batteries (bought on-line) but they rapidly lost charge and I’m doubtful about their origin.

I’ve just refitted the sensors and it remains to be seen whether the system will function correctly. When the system has been working properly the readouts have been accurate, but there’s been the occasional glitch as stated in my posting here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/TPMS/47671/

Archived