Tyres for Hymer camp 524

yoko8pups

We have just failed our MOT in Portugal because on our ownership document it says 215/70R15 tyres. On the van we have 215/751r6c. the COC says 215/75r16C. Paperwork is such a nightmare here that we feel if we lose the document it could take months so we are tempted to change all 4 tyres to pass the MOT. Is one tyre superior to the other? The 70R is considerably cheaper if we buy a make like Goodyear. We currently have Michelin.

I've read your post several times, it makes no sense, You can't fit 215/70R15 and 215/75R16 tyres to the same wheels.

p.s. if you meant to type 215/70R16 vs 215/75R16, then there might be a lot of difference to the tyres, as the 215/75R16 is available in much higher load rating, but this might not apply to your van.

I agree with Colin that your posting is a little confusing!

You cannot fir 15" tyres on 16" rims or vice versa so you seem to be stuck with your current 16" unless you want to find new rims.

I wonder if your MH has been up-plated at any time as the 15" tyres have a much lower load rating than the 16".

215/70 R15 LI 106 equals 1,900 kg max axle weight

215/75 R16 LI 113 equals 2,300 kg max axle weight

215/70 R16 LI 108 equals 2,000 kg max axle weight

So you would need to check axle weights before considering changing to 15" wheels and tyres.

Was there possibly a typo on your ownership document as that would make most sense and would then align with your COC?

Keith.

Thanks for answering. The COC says 215/75R16C and those are the tyres we have on the van. I can see that we have no choice but to try to get the owner document altered. I had no idea what the 15 and 16 referred to. We are booked to go to Sardinia in 3 weeks.

Yoko8pups’s problem may sound strange to UK motorcaravanners, but other countries can have much stricter rules regarding a vehicle’s specification.

In France, a motorhome’s ownership document (equivalent to the UK’s V5C) will carry details of the vehicles’s original homologated specification and any authorised modifications that have been subsequently made.

I recall a letter in a French motorcaravan magazine saying that an elderly motorhome had failed the French ‘MOT test’ because the specification of the tyres fitted to it differed from that shown on the vehicle’s ownership document. The motorhome’s owner said that the tyres originally fitted had been narrow Michelin ‘camping-car’ tyres (and that was the size shown on the ownership document) but as that particular width was no longer available, slightly wider Michelin camping-car tyres had been fitted instead and the (unauthorised) minor width increase had resulted in a test failure. The magazine’s reply was that tyre-size variation was a well-known problem test-wise and some motorcaravanners sidestepped it by having two sets of tyres - an old ‘original specification’ set that was put on the motorhome to allow it to pass the test and a new different-size set that was refitted after the test had been passed. It would seem that Portugal has similar regulations to France in this respect.

It will not be practicable to fit 215/70 R15 tyres (and matching 15”-diameter wheels) to a Fiat Ducato built to have 16”-diameter wheels and 215/75 R16 tyres. Consequently (as Yoko8pups has said) it will be necessary to have the motorhome’s Portuguese ownership certificate brought into line with its Certificate of Conformity that has the 215/75 R16 tyre-size on it.

Thank you Derek, this was exactly the situation we were in. Because Portugal was until recently a dictatorship it is really frightening if you have to deal with these high up civil servants. The next day we went to try to sort out the paperwork. We were quite scared because we have a boat booked from Barcelona to Sardinia in 3 weeks and we could see that being cancelled. Luckily the lady in the office saw the problem (you could just as easily get one who denied there was a problem) sent us to do a load of photocopying then stamped a paper saying it was a misprint on the ownership document and sent us to get the fail marked as a pass. By 6pm we had a valid MOT.

Archived