UK & European Recovery

Mel B

Guest Mel B
If anyone out there is interested, I've just signed up with a new recovery provider after our previous one wanted silly money as for some reason they had vastly increased their premiums. The company is called Britannia Rescue and it gives us personal recovery so covers us when using any of our vehicles: motorhome (2003), car (2004) and a Fiat 126 (1988), in addition it covers my husband and me for any other vehicle we are travelling in or driving for no extra cost. Although we don't intend to take our cars abroad it covers us for Europe for them as well as the motorhome. The only possible restriction there is that the motorhome may have to be 8.00 metres in length or less, however, they will consider increasing this subject to your obtaining their agreement when you take out the policy. There is no width, weight or AGE restriction, which is why we took it out as it covers our Fiat 126. So this may be worth a call for any one who has an older car or motorhome. The cost? Well for UK & Europe (90 days max per trip, as many trips abroad as you like - you just have to tell them when you're going) for one vehicle it was £119.40, however, to increase this to cover the other vehicles we had to upgrade to the Deluxe policy to give us personal cover which cost an extra £28.50 but by agreeing to pay by continuous payment we had the extra £5.00 admin fee waived. In addition, due to my UNISON membership I got a discount so the total cost for the whole package came to £124.00 which I think is very good value indeed. We did enquire at the Peterborough show about the RAC's UK & Europe recovery scheme for all 3 vehicles and were advised that it was expensive and we'd be better off with another provider ... and this was assuming we were members of the club!!! This was from someone who was a member of the C&CC helping on their stand and he had his recovery elsewhere!!! I did also get a quote from the Caravan Club and it was in excess of £170.00 and they used the same European recovery provider as the one we've signed up with. Take a look at their website for more info at: www.britanniarescue.com

Guest Keith D
Looks very good. Did notice these in the exeptions which may be a muddy field get out but most manage to cope with these situations as part of motorhoming. Also cover does not apply on garage premises D General exceptions 1.7. Any costs involved in moving your vehicle into a position where we can try to repair it or transport it. For example all charges for retrieving your vehicle from a ditch or field are your responsibility 1.14. We cannot provide help on commercial garage premises which are not our agent's premises

Guest Mel B
I think you'll find that the 2 'let out' clauses apply to a lot of other policies as well but I would suggest that you would be able to find a friendly 4x4 driver (as we have when we've got stuck in campsites twice, not broken down) to pull you out. If I stupidly drove it into a ditch I don't think the problem of how to get it out would be the first thing on my mind - being unharmed would be my major concern. When our Fiat 126 blew it's head gasket last year at a car rally the joint insurance & recovery policy with that stated that we had to ensure that it was retrievable by the recovery lorry, which we did no problem.

Guest Keith D
Hi Mel B Notice on the Britania website that you get £5 for introducing new members. Need to quote your membership number to make sure you get it. Thanks Keith D

Archived