UK Motorhome Sales and a Possible Future Slump

Bop

I've just this minute watched the RT news channel and there was an interesting article which highlighted the huge increase in demand for RV sales; motorhomes and travel trailers alike in the United States.

The article went onto say that the sales increase was as a direct result of the CV19 pandemic (where people were seeking an immediate 'staycation-style'' freedom after lockdown), but the commentary then finished by warning that a huge number of new purchases would be back on the dealers forecourts as resales when some resemblance of normality was achieved in the near future!

I note recently that there have been a higher influx of newbie motorhome purchasers, or enquiries, on the various forums so do we think that the UK will go through the same process whereby new motorhome purchases will be backloaded to dealers when people realise that the UK staycation scene in a motorhome is not quite what they expected.

Interested to hear your thoughts?

Bop - 2020-06-19 10:36 PM

I've just this minute watched the RT news channel and there was an interesting article which highlighted the huge increase in demand for RV sales; motorhomes and travel trailers alike in the United States.

The article went onto say that the sales increase was as a direct result of the CV19 pandemic (where people were seeking an immediate 'staycation-style'' freedom after lockdown), but the commentary then finished by warning that a huge number of new purchases would be back on the dealers forecourts as resales when some resemblance of normality was achieved in the near future!

I note recently that there have been a higher influx of newbie motorhome purchasers, or enquiries, on the various forums so do we think that the UK will go through the same process whereby new motorhome purchases will be backloaded to dealers when people realise that the UK staycation scene in a motorhome is not quite what they expected.

Interested to hear your thoughts?

Wait and see as Derek says but personally I doubt that the dealers will be in any position to buy back without a new sale.

More likely they will end up in the finance companies "dealers auction".

Our first motorhome was one such HP repossession which we then bought at a very good price from a dealer. We traded it two years later for more than we bought it for. :-D

Some good points there albeit that must surely be Derek's shortest response ever :-)

I was reading one of the other forums the other day and a number of people on the ongoing 'Motorhome Sales' thread mentioned the same issues as raised in the RT article, i.e. don't bother buying during this short term sales bubble as a fair few British newbies will soon realise that they've made a very expensive boo-boo and will sell up soon, especially when they see how expensive and restrictive it is to use motorhomes in the UK.

The UK is a market which IMO has now reached its saturation point.

That said, a few mistakes now by newbies may help with the choice of motorhomes available in Q1,21 and beyond.

colin - 2020-06-20 7:41 PM

Time will tell, but I don't see a "huge increase" in new sales as those who are looking for a quick fix will be put off by long waiting times. The secondhand market may well take off.

I think you've got something there Colin. I've been keeping an eye on a few dealer web pages recently and it seems that sales have slowed rapidly in the last week, including a number of price reductions on posher models and cancellations of sales; i.e. vans that were displaying the sold marker last week and are now back up for sale.

With a wave of redundancies just about to hit the globe I bet a good number of folk who were once considering a van may put the purchase on hold.

Archived