UK

keninpalamos

When we, the British motoring public were instructed to display a UK sticker to the rear of our vehicles for political reasons. ie to include N. Ireland (it would seem to drum it home to the EU that N. Ireland was part of the UK) why were Scottish Welsh and English drivers forced to drop the GB plate as we ( the afore mentioned nations) are still part of GB. Why wasn’t Ireland just given the UK plate. Just interested that’s all. Please try not to be antagonistic in replies.

keninpalamos - 2022-01-21 10:24 AM

When we, the British motoring public were instructed to display a UK sticker to the rear of our vehicles for political reasons. ie to include N. Ireland (it would seem to drum it home to the EU that N. Ireland was part of the UK) why were Scottish Welsh and English drivers forced to drop the GB plate as we ( the afore mentioned nations) are still part of GB. Why wasn’t Ireland just given the UK plate. Just interested that’s all. Please try not to be antagonistic in replies.

Ken

The government formally changed the international recognition code for all UK registered vehicles from "GB" to "UK" following Brexit. It was political, in that the code now includes NI, which the previous "GB" did not (the "GB" code was adopted before WW1, so before NI existed as a separate part of the island of Ireland, and the anomaly was never corrected!), but all UK registered vehicles must now carry the "UK" signifier in lieu of the "GB" signifier whenever outside the UK.

The "UK" letters can be incorporated into a vertical blue band on the left hand end of both front and rear registration plates in the same way as on "Euro" plates, but the EU circle of stars "flag" is no longer legal in international traffic, as we are no longer in the EU.

Two forms of this registration plate are legal, one incorporating the union flag (but no other "flags") + "UK", the other with just the plain blue band + "UK". However, because of the way the government briefed the trade on the new requirement, emphasising only the union flag variety, I have as yet not been able to find any of the plain blue band + "UK" without the flag, offered for sale.

If not wishing to change the present "GB" "Euro" registration plates, or if the plates are UK legal only (whether or not adorned by additional "flag" symbols, a UK sticker is required on the rear only as for the previous GB sticker.

Keithl - 2022-01-21 10:56 AM

This thread is not appear to be directly MH related so unless anyone has any strong reason to leave it in MHM then I will be moving it to CB later today.

Keith.

Suggest you leave the thread in Motorhome Matters despite it being more generalised.

The GB to UK-plate matter was discussed in this forum last year and that thread was left in place.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Any-reaction-to-UK-plates-/58447/

(You could consider freezing this thread - at least that would stop the die-hard Chatterboxers getting involved.)

Leaving aside the politics, I guess the reason was to correct a historical anomaly.

Even when Ireland was part of the UK, the Recognition code was GB which, theoretically, was wrong as Ireland was not within Great Britain (although part of the UK and, indeed, the British Isles). So, changing it now corrects that anomaly.

And we wonder why the Europeans don’t understand our constitutional arrangements!

Derek Uzzell - 2022-01-21 12:14 PM

Keithl - 2022-01-21 10:56 AM

This thread is not appear to be directly MH related so unless anyone has any strong reason to leave it in MHM then I will be moving it to CB later today.

Keith.

Suggest you leave the thread in Motorhome Matters despite it being more generalised.

You should of asked his advice first Keith

keninpalamos - 2022-01-21 10:24 AM

Why wasn’t Ireland just given the UK plate. Just interested that’s all. Please try not to be antagonistic in replies.

I'm guessing (and hoping) that you actually meant "why wasn't NORTHERN Ireland just given the UK plate."?

I'd also note that cars from Northern Ireland don't need to display the new UK plates in Ireland, much as they didn't need to display GB plates, for fairly obvious reasons.

Archived