Used MH, what do I need to clean?

Hymer694

The thread title says it all really. I've just purchased my first MH which I want to clean from top to bottom for my own piece of mind. I've read about people adding various chemicals to various tanks and flushing lines/emptying things. Does anyone have a checklist that they run through following a winter lay up or after they've just got a new vehicle? Or perhaps there is a web site that you could point me to? Also any advice on what product to use for each procedure would be most welcome. Thanks Paul.

Paul A good shampoo for the outside; use plenty of water on the windows no brushes or sponges - they may contain bits of grit which will scratch the polycarbonate. For the fresh water tank I have always used "puriclean" others swear by "milton" both diluted as per manufacturers instructions-but do not run either through the water heater. Fill the tank run a couple of litres though each cold tap, sink w/ basin & shower take the van out for a short run, then empty the tank completely and rinse thoroughly through the cold taps as well. Waste tank empty the tank, half fill the tank with fresh water disolve a small container of bicarbonate of soda in a litre of boiling water take the van out for a short run, then empty the tank completely. Toilet cassette as per waste tank. Inside of van talke care of windows as per outside, the rest use household cleaners as appropriate. Good luck with your new van. Docted For toilet seal use either Thetfords own aerosol lubricant or vegetable oil to prevent sticking.

"For toilet seal use either Thetfords own aerosol lubricant or vegetable oil to prevent sticking. ....... " :-D during use or after ;-) Good list - thanks. I saw a product in the Nationals at the weekend that we can use on house windows: necessary only once a year? I wish ; sorry can't remember the name of the product until I search out the Telegraph.

An upholstery/carpet cleaning company can clean it right through inside and kill all the previous owners bugs, dust mites etc. My son-in-law has sich a company,'Drychem' franchise, so I get mine done for free. Carpets, upholstery, roof lining and all, worth thinking about. One of the main reasons my wife and I have a motorhome instead of going to hotels is:- we know who slept in the bed last, so all the dust mites are family.

Archived