Using Jet Wash and Snow Foam long hose extension

HymerVan

A couple of years ago I came across an article about vehicle cleaning (which in a professional or amateur capacity is known as "detailing"). In particular that article mentioned snow foam. For the uninitiated snow foam is a covering of foam applied to a vehicle using a pressure washer and dispenser or foam gun. The foam gun works at low pressure. The foam is left to "dwell" on the vehicle for a short time (normally between ten and twenty minutes) then gently hosed off using the pressure washer at a very low setting or just a hose. This process is contactless so there is minimal risk of abrading the surfaces of the van.

Professional detailers use Snow foaming as a "pre-wash" before more traditional bucket and shampoo methods but a lot of the time it is enough in itself and it is particularly useful in the winter where the vehicle may have a lot of road dirt or salt. Applying and removing the foam including wait time will take around 30 minutes (more time needed to set up and put away equipment.).

To make the process even easier I have just purchased a 20 metre extension hose for the Karcher which should allow me to get right round my van including the roof without needing to move the Karcher unit itself or its hose and electricity connections which will be safer as well because the water will be away from the electricity connection.

I am looking forward at the beginning of July to cleaning what will be a very dirty van inaccessible since early March.

I remember the dealer I bought my first motorhome from saying that they used “Truckclean” to clean particularly grubby motorhomes, but he emphasised that care needed to be taken and he always carried out the task himself rather than delegate it to his staff. This was over 20 years ago, but I presume this was the stuff he was talking about

https://www.motorex.com/en-us/truck-line/cleaner/truckclean/

There are lots of different snow foam products around and as with many things many opinions as to which is best. However my post was not about product endorsement but about a useful cleaning methodology which many may not have come across. For me its discovery is transformational in the time and effort needed to effectively clean my van. I though it might also be useful to mention the possibility of getting a long hose extension for a pressure washer which for me will be a great time saver as well.

The specific snow foam I use is Autobrite Magifoam available in various sizes of container. I have used about half my 5L container in 2 years of doing both the van and the car.

Link to eBay

I don't think this is the same product as truck clean but I haven't attempted to look at the chemicals in each one. I suspect truck clean may be a more aggressive product.

The response from Crocs suggests that Demon Foam may also be a rather different product with a rather different function. It describes itself as a "snow foam shampoo" The whole point about using at least some snow foam products is that it is contactless and removes or at least loosens surface dirt and grit without rubbing at all which greatly reduces the danger of causing scratching at the next stage (if you go to the next stage). It is mainly a professional product but of course available to anybody who has a pressure washer and foam dispenser to benefit from it.

On the theme of cleaning at the next stage after snow foaming by the traditional two bucket methodl I do not use a wash brush sponges or chamois on my van or car because each has a significant risk of scratching but instead a micro-fibre cleaning mit and a big micro-fibre towel to dry off.

I have used a truck cleaner called Chemtec CT18. It works well at removing grime and I note is showing on eBay UK. Currently I use a car wash product I source from the major supplier of cleaning products to the carwash industry. In edition to being very easy to use it has a small amount of liquid polish in the formula. I have found it has allowed me to extend the interval between polishing events. Interestingly I have just sourced a 10mtr hose for my Karcher high pressure washer similar to HymerVan. Big bonus with the hp washer is that it makes cleaning the wheels & plastic hubcaps an easy task. Tomorrow (Tuesday) is wash day in preparation for a two week trip into the outback of my local state NSW. We are able to move around with self distancing rules in place. Some States still have their borders closed to non essential travel which I find is a bit weird. Can you imagine Cornwall closing it's border to Devon!! cheers,

I'm a snowfoam fan, I have TFR but its not for the car or caravan unless I want to strip the wax off, although it is good for the wheels.

The snowfoam I use is as Hymervan describes, spray it on let it dwell and rinse off, then if necessary I will wash with car shampoo.

The idea as said, is to remove dust and grit before washing, but quite often the snowfoam cleans it to an acceptable standard without having to wash it.

Archived